What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Crash > Could the wasp have contributed to the Birgen Air Boeing 757 crash?
Could the wasp have contributed to the Birgen Air Boeing 757 crash?
Aviation - Air Crash
Sunday, 27 January 2013 07:41

Air Crash Investigations - Mixed Signals

Dear Capt Lim,

I'm an instrument-rated pilot based in Tehran. I would like to highlight something in order to improve Aviation Safety.

I`ve watched the Air Crash Investigations videos hundreds of times.

I have a question on the safety of the Boeing 757.

I believe you know the reasons and the circumstances that led to Birgen Air 301 crash. Anyway, just by pushing the control column forward, that crash could have been averted.

Mohammad

Hi Mohammad,

As we all know Flight 301 was a Boeing 757 chartered flight from the Dominican Republic to Frankfurt and managed by a Turkish airline Birgenair. It crashed shortly after take-off on 6 February 1996.

“Investigators believe that the most likely culprit was the black and yellow mud dauber, a type of solitary sphecid wasp well-known to Dominican pilots, which tends to establish its nest in artificial, cylindrical structures, or make its own cylindrical nest out of mud. The aircraft had not flown in 25 days, during which time the pitot tubes were not covered, giving the wasps an opportunity to build nests in the tubes.”(see here)

It is interesting to note that there are some similarities with 2 other crashes.

The first one was Aeroperú Flight 603, involving a Boeing 757 also in 1996 - suffered from a similar but far more difficult situation (static ports blocked by tape, rendering all airspeed indicators and pressure altimeters unusable) and crashed in the ocean off Peru.

The other one was the Air France 447 Airbus A330 that had its pitot tube blocked by ice in flight. The end result of blocked tubes is an unreliable airspeed scenario. If pilots are not well trained in the recovery from an unreliable airspeed situation, it would be disastrous as seen in these 3 situations.

The cardinal rule is to abort the take-off if the flying pilot sees his speed not increasing when the other non-flying pilot (usually the co-pilot) calls “100 knots”. This, according to the investigators, the captain of Flight 301 failed to do and it gradually led to more problems later on.

Yes, it led to unreliable airspeed whereby an improperly trained pilot would be confused - thinking the plane was flying with a correct speed when in fact it is about to stall or crash. In such a situation, the stall warning is to be respected regardless of the speed ‘correct’ indication!

As you have said, the pilot should have pushed the control column forward to avert the crash when he heard the stall warning. If you have read the investigation report, the captain mishandled the recovery and that led to the disaster.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Air Crash Investigations – The crash of Aeroperu 603

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
procedures
This was another example of not following procedures? That is...pitot tubes should be checked and tested........aand the pilot failed to abort takeoff due to speed inconsistency.
Kenny , 22 Apr, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com