(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Crash > Asiana Boeing 777 Crash
Asiana Boeing 777 Crash
Aviation - Air Crash
Wednesday, 10 July 2013 12:38

Plane Crash at San Francisco Airport, Boeing 777

Hi Capt Lim

Why did the pilot in charge fail to recognize that he was going to undershoot the runway and did not abort the landing and go around?

Did he follow the PAPI (two white and two red) in adjusting his glide path?

Danny

Hi Danny,

From reports, the pilot at the control during the crash was was still under training on the Boeing 777. He has only clocked about 43 hours on the plane although he has been to this airport 29 times in the past but on different planes. His instructor who is new as a trainer has about 3220 hours and is therefore experienced on the plane.

It is not clear why the experienced instructor pilot did not take over to abort the landing. It is a standard procedure for all pilots to commence a go-around by 500 feet if the plane was not stabilized.

In most airlines, it is standard practise to have the other pair of relief crew to be at the jump seats during the landing as they are the additional pairs of eyes that can also monitor the safety of the flight. Some airlines even allow the pilots on the jump seat to initiate the ‘Go-around call’ if they are of the opinion that the flight was unsafe.

As the glide slope of the Instrument Landing System was not working, his next best guidance to stay on the correct profile (2 white 2 red lights) was the PAPI (Precision Approach Path Indicator). Obviously it was not followed by the pilot or else he would not have hit the seawall.

However, the spokesperson of NTSB which is responsible for finding out the cause of the air crash, said: "I think it really is too early to conclude pilot error because there's so much that we don't know."

The NTSB had said on Sunday that the plane was "significantly below" its intended air speed and its crew tried to abort the landing less than two seconds before it hit the seawall in front of the runway.

On Monday, fresh details from NTSB stated that “the plane was flying at just 119 miles per hour immediately prior to the accident, a full 25 percent slower than normal for the descent."

Also, the flight data recorder indicated that there were no signs of trouble until seven seconds before impact, when the crew tried to accelerate.

"A stall warning sounded four seconds before impact, and the crew tried to abort the landing and initiate what's known as a "go around" manoeuvre just 1.5 seconds before crashing.”

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Boeing 777 Crash at San Francisco Airport

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Auto Pilot
Dear Capt Lim,

I understand, most modern airplanes are equipped with Autopilot. Does this 777 autopilot for landing is not activated for landing?
Eddy , 12 Jul, 2013
Auto Pilot
The Instrument Landing System for the runway they were landing (RW28L)was down. Thus an automatic landing could not be performed. Anyway, the autopilot was switched off for that particular landing as a normal practice when an auto landing was not envisaged.
Captain Lim , 12 Jul, 2013
Fair of flying
Capt. Lim
Please help me... I will travel on Monday July 15... I am very nervous
About this flight... Since airfrance crash, I start to have panic of flying
I have to see my family in brazil... I am traveling at American Airlines and I am look it doesn't have a good safety record... And I am also afray to flying over the ocean Atlantic because all those tropical storm ... It's safe go thru the Atlantic in boeng 757??
Please help me understand about this plane flying over Atlantic?? What pilot does for avoid tropical storm???
Gessika riley , 12 Jul, 2013
QNH
When I used to fly around in a PA38 I used to set the QNH before landing otherwise the altimeter would give false readings. Is this information transmitted automatically to commercial aircraft such as the B777, or could this information have been incorrectly entered? Giving the pilots an incorrect altitude reading?
DaveS , 18 Jul, 2013
Captain Lim,

I suspected in the beginning that the MH370 pilot committed suicide. Did you know the captain real well since you worked for Malaysia Air for many years?

Andy
Andy , 15 Mar, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com