(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Crash > What went wrong with first crash of the Boeing 777!
What went wrong with first crash of the Boeing 777!
Aviation - Air Crash
Thursday, 17 January 2008 18:34
Hi Captain Lim!

What do you make of today's crash landing of a Boeing 777 at Heathrow?

Jon

British Airways Boeing 777 Crash Landing at London Heathrow

Hi Jon,

Yes, after the crash of the British Airways Boeing 777 at the London Heathrow airport around 12.42 pm yesterday (Jan 17th  2008), I have received many other emails enquiring about this accident.

Fortunately, there were no fatalities on this air crash except for 17 passengers who suffered injuries.

Television pictures on CNN showed the Boeing 777 at the edge of the runway with the grass behind it furrowed for several hundred meters where the airplane had scrapped along. The emergency escape chutes were deployed and fire trucks sprayed the plane with foam. One wing and much of the landing gear appeared damaged.

Well, since the Boeing 777 first flight after about 12 years ago, British Airways has the honor of being the first airline to suffer the first crash of this very safe airplane! What went wrong?

The British Airways CEO said, "It would be inappropriate for me to speculate as to the likely cause of this incident... We are very proud of the way our crew safely evacuated all 136 passengers on board with only three minor injuries.''

"BA's safety record is exemplary and the rapid evacuation of the passengers without loss of life is a tribute to their safety commitment,'' he said.

Investigators have reportedly already arrived at the scene to begin investigations into the incident.

Amongst the early speculation for the cause of the accident was "poor weather, windshear or possibly bird strikes". I will however update and comment on this when more news are available.

Well, for the moment, nothing is conclusive until the investigation is completed.

For more of the accident, please see the latest video clip above and also here.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Concerned about BA Boeing 777 flight...
Dear Captain Lim,

I have been flying on British Airways aircraft for years and have always trusted their safety record. However, I am a bit concerned about flying on a 777 next month to Nairobi, Kenya. Maybe I am also on edge about the political problems in Kenya as well, but I am even more nervous now about flying on a Boeing 777. Should I be? What if there are problems with other 777's as well?

I do hope they find out soon what caused the crash landing at Heathrow. I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Warm regards.

Denise
Denise , 02 Feb, 2008
Concerned about BA Boeing 777 flight...
Hi Denise,

The Boeing 777 is one of the safest airplanes in the world today despite the recent accident at London Heathrow. I would not worry about flying the plane at all as British Airways has among one of the best safety records in the world today.

The investigation to the cause of the accident is yet to be revealed but I will keep my readers updated on this as I am equally curious about the first accident involving a hull-loss of a Boeing 777.

Wish you a safe flight to Nairobi! smilies/smiley.gif
Captain Lim , 02 Feb, 2008
Mr
Dear Captain Lim,
I am surprised there are no comments and your thoughts on recent BA 777 crash. After all, you are a 777 pilot and I'm sure you have your thoughts esp since you were proclaiming it to be the safest plane. I heard some speculation that in 777s there is no mechanical linkage from the cockpit to the engines which would mean, if software fails, the engines cannot be controlled? Could that ever happen? In that case I would prefer flying on a mechanical operated aircraft, no? What do you think and what about the rudder spare engine you mentioned 777 has?
Rad , 07 Feb, 2008
The first crash of the Boeing 777...
Hi Rad,

You can read some of the updates in my posting in "Wouldn't it be wise to retract the landing gears prior to the crash landing?".

I do not understand what you meant by "the rudder spare engine" and I can't remember about mentioning that anywhere.

You can also read more about the accident here.
Captain Lim , 08 Feb, 2008
What happens in DXB GRU engine failure?
Hello Captain Lim,
Thank you for enriching my knowledge on flying. But with the 777 accident what happens to routes like DXB - GRU. The latter half seems to be over the sea. How would the pilot cope with an engine failure especially when it flies mostly near the equator?
Thanks
Anirban , 23 Mar, 2008

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com