(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Safety > How do you compare the safety of the Boeing 747-400 to the Boeing 777?
How do you compare the safety of the Boeing 747-400 to the Boeing 777?
Aviation - Air Safety
Thursday, 16 February 2006 04:30

Dear Captain Lim,

First of all, I want to thank you for your wonderful website as it has helped so many frightened flyers, like myself, to gain confidence and overcome some of their fears. I also want to thank you for all the effort you put into the site, particularly when you have a very busy schedule!

I am flying to Melbourne from Singapore in a few days time and have used your site to calm my nerves but, to my horror, I have realized that the aircraft I am flying on is a Boeing 747-400. I say "horror" because after reading your site, there is no other aircraft I feel safe to fly on other than the A340 or B777!!

How do you compare the safety mechanisms of the B747-400 to the B777? Would you willingly fly a Megatop or do you have safety concerns? Will the B747-400 also glide to a safe landing if its engines failed and are the wings as sturdy as the B777?

I guess the real question I am asking here is: Although the B747-400 is not as technologically advanced as the B777, have all the same tests been conducted on the aircraft and pilot in terms of technical emergencies; and does the aircraft have reserve computers, etc, that kick in during any of these emergencies? Please don't scare me!

Thank you very much for your time!

Sander Fleuren

Hi Sander,

I am sorry that you are 'horrified' to know that you are flying on a Boeing 747-400 rather than on a Boeing 777. Just because I have taken the time to write about the good features of the later airplane, it doesn't mean that the B747-400 is not as safe.

To further boost your confidence, I would like to add that the Boeing 747 is an immensely successful commercial airliner and the most recognized airplane in the world today. Let me give you some statistics of this famous airplane (ah, before the Airbus A380 comes into the picture soon!):

The Boeing 747-100 first flew in 1969 - 37 years ago. Its first passenger flight in January 21, 1970, was from New York to London. Six months later, it flew one million passengers.

The first B747-400 model entered service in 1989. There are 3 types: the all-passenger, combi (passenger and cargo) and all-cargo model.

Up to date, there are over 1215 Boeing 747s being built and about 1,100 are still in service. Over the past 30 years, 2.2 billion passengers have flown on this airplane. So, the integrity of this plane should not be of any safety concern, otherwise it would not have been that popular!

Yes, the Boeing 747 can glide
and the wings are just as strong. The earlier Boeing 747 models may not be as technologically advanced as the Boeing 777, but the later ones (B747-400s) are also being upgraded with some state-of-the-art computers in most cases.

Of course, the Boeing 777s have many newer features - this is to raise the safety margin even HIGHER - not to make you feel that the Boeing 747-400 is any less safe!

Remember, flying is a very safe form of fast transportation. So, as you travel on the Megatop from Singapore to Melbourne, sit back and smile, knowing that you're very safe on board - the odds of an accident is one in 5 million (you have a better chance of winning a lottery ticket!)

Happy and safe flying!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (6)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Boeing 747-400 s dannger side , Low-rated comment [Show]
Nervous Passenger has done her research
... erm actually, I think you'll find that (in the western world) Hull loss of a commercial 747 is incredibly rare and no major incident since early 2003 and even then not a Western carrier. Before you post your sensationalist comments (many people seek these sites out for comfort), do your research. Incredible plane, great overall safety record. Wikipedia it.
Laurae , 11 Aug, 2011
Wrong comparing
How can you compare a A380 with an 747 that hasn't been in service less than a year vs a 747 that has been in service since 1989. When I go to Thailand I always fly 747-400. They are very nice planes. I am frightening to fly but the 747 I am not. Just sit down lean back and relax.
Jonas , 17 Apr, 2012
I have flown on a 747-400 dozens of times.I can tell you that it is safe.It is one of the newer planes in the 747 fleet and it has modern mechanisms.
Yusef , 18 Apr, 2012
747-400 are incredibly reliable. There have only been a few loosss due to mechanical failure and all of the underlying issues have been corrected. If you are at all concerned about the safety of a 747 go watch great planes Boeing 747 and it will show you the testing that went into that machine before it even entered into service
Robert , 03 May, 2012
Virgin vs BA to fly London to JFK
Which would you recommend for safety? BA's 747 or Virgins airbus?
Yours sincerely
A terrified traveller
Gail , 29 May, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com