(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Safety > Is flying in general aviation safer than driving?
Is flying in general aviation safer than driving?
Aviation - Air Safety
Monday, 25 February 2013 15:54

Farmer Flying – Slow Flight Handling and Piloting

Hi Capt Lim,

I am a farmer from NSW Australia and have a problem that my wife wants to move to a city to better educate the kids which is 2 hours’ drive from the farm.

I don't want to sell the farm, I came across the light sport aircraft which is cheap to run and there are a lot of different types.

I just want to know whether it would be safe to fly every day to the farm and back which is 140 km direct or are they too small to make this idea feasible.

Regards

John,

Hi John,

When you read statistics referring to flying as being very safe when compared to driving, you must read the small print that this refers to commercial planes in major airlines only. However, safety for general aviation (covering everything from small planes such as the Cessna 152s to flying corporate jets) the safety standard is generally lower.

The American NTSB statistics for commercial airlines for 2008 was 0.010 fatalities per 100,000 hours whereas it was 1.21 fatalities per 100,000 hours for private aircraft. Whilst flying is much safer in commercial planes than driving, the NHTSA (National Highway Transport Safety Administration) reported 1.26 fatalities per 100 million miles travelled on the road. When private flying is compared to driving, it has a fatality rate of 19 times greater than travelling in a motor car.

Some of the main reasons why commercial flying is safer -  their pilots are well trained, there are always two or more pilots flying the planes into big airports with long runways and good landing facilities, such as the Instrument Landing System

In my opinion, it is fine to take up flying as a sport but it would not be advisable for you to fly your kids every day to school from the farm, not forgetting that safe flying is a full time professional job. You cannot afford to make a mistake as you would not encounter good weather every day!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Short Take Off and Slow Landing

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
I would agree with Capt Lim that the weather will probably make you keep the kids at home and the plane in the hangar many days in the week. The oy a certain time. What if the pilot wakes up slightly late or is slightly unwell or a minor technical fault is detected when preflighting the aircraft? The desire to make the flight in time may well push him to rush his checks and to take lightly his physical condition or the technical defects.
Helang Perkasa , 26 Feb, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com