(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Safety > How could I lodge a complaint against a passenger for using the cell phone in flight?
How could I lodge a complaint against a passenger for using the cell phone in flight?
Aviation - Air Safety
Friday, 13 December 2013 17:46

FAA Green Lights Gadget Use During Entire Flight

Hi Capt Lim

I have always been a fan of your column in Travel 3Sixty. Thanks for all the very easy-to-understand information you imparted through those writings.

I am writing to you in the hope of getting your advice on how I should lodge a complaint about a fellow passenger on board the flight I was on.

I was flying in from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu on AK 5116 on 5/12. At 1815 hours, we were approaching Kota Kinabalu and right before extending the landing gears, I saw the male passenger on seat 25D turning on his iPhone. I observed him for a couple of minutes and then suddenly I realized the pilot increased power, nose-up and was heading for a go around.

At that moment I engaged that passenger and asked him to turn off his mobile. He then replied "where got?" and "how did you know it is dangerous?"

This very irresponsible act and his defensive remarks is very dangerous to other fellow passengers.

I am wondering how can I lodge a report and who could take action against him. This would at least serve him a warning or something so that he could be more responsible in the future!

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Lawrence Low

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your concern. Unfortunately, there are still some travellers who continue to ignore the instruction to refrain from using their phones in flight. As you may be aware, I have written a few times here about its likely dangers and also their potential interference with cockpit equipment.

So far, there is no clear evidence to suggest that it has caused any major disaster yet but it is better to be safe than to be sorry.

Basically, most electronic equipment have been designed to shield against any interference by phones but one never know its effect if too many mavericks decide to use their phones all at once. So, if the shielding is weak and if due to heavy interference, the protection could suffer, leading to problems.

Understandably, this policy is quite difficult to enforce at times. Yes you could submit a written complaint to the flight attendant or to the airlines but its effect would less effective than being told off in flight. At least you have done your part!

However, FAA has recently (31.10.13) announced that passengers will soon be able to watch videos and play games with their electronic devices throughout their entire flight and not just above 10,000 feet. The ban on using cell phones for voice communication remains in effect.

Several airlines (with proper shielding of the on-board electronic equipment) already provide in-flight Wi-Fi service, enabling passengers to use the Internet, email and text messaging. Worldwide,14 airlines have permitted the use of cell phones in flight. For example, Emirates allows passengers on its Airbus A380 to use cell phones in flight but the service would be shut off 250 miles from the edge of the United States’ airspace to comply with the FAA ban in the country.

This would probably be the trend in the future when cell phones would be allowed to be used in the flight at all times, that is, provided the planes have more advanced shielding technology in place.

PS. If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim 

Effect of Cell Phone

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
737-400 VS 320-200
When I travel on MAS B737-400. I will definitely turn off my cell and follow instruction from FA. But in AA A320, come on guys, its the most advance airliner. What the heck cell phone can bring it down.
Levert , 16 Dec, 2013
Levert fool, Do you think the rules are there for a laugh? IT IS FOR OUR SAFETY. "most advanced airliner" yes- a whole heap of extra electrical equipment to be interfered with! Of course the chance of that happening is small, but it's a sad state of affairs when someone would risk that small percentage just because they don't know how to live without their cell fone for a few hours! Some people need to learn how to read a book and stop thinking they know better than the experts in the aviation industry.
grateful just to be able to fly , 23 Dec, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com