(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Safety > How are modern aircraft equipped to handle in-flight smoke or fire?
How are modern aircraft equipped to handle in-flight smoke or fire?
Aviation - Air Safety
Thursday, 18 December 2008 03:48

Dear Captain Lim,

In June 1983, an Air Canada DC-9 traveling to Toronto from Dallas quickly turned into an all-out emergency when passengers noticed smoke coming out from the rear washroom.

As the smoke grew thicker, the crew had no choice but attempted to land the plane. For fifteen hellish minutes, the passengers and crew struggled to deal with the thick toxic smoke.

When the plane finally hit the runway in Cincinnati, all on board struggled to exit the burning plane as quickly as they could.

Ninety seconds after touching the ground, the plane was engulfed in a ball of fire. Twenty-three of the forty-six passengers perished.

Could the oxygen mask be deployed when such in-flight smoke arose so that the passengers could breathe good air and remain conscious for at least for a few minutes until it landed as it happened on the Air Canada flight?

I feel that the 23 passenger who couldn’t make it out of the aircraft when it landed were unconscious due to inhalation of the thick toxic smoke; some where even strapped on to their seats.

How are modern aircraft equipped to handle such a situation?

Thanking you in advance.

Wishing you good health and safe flights

Sebastian.

Fire On Board – Air Canada Flight 797

Hi Sebastian,

It was because of this accident that the airline industry has improved the procedures to tackle all in-flight smokes or fires.

Amongst others, the investigation board of this accident came out with these recommendations:-

1. Smoke detectors to be installed in all lavatories
2. Automatic fire extinguishers to be installed adjacent to and in lavatory waste receptacles
3. To review fire training procedures and amend those that did not take aggressive actions to determine the source and severity of suspected cabin fires
4. Crew should begin an emergency descent for landing or ditching if the source and severity of the fire are not positively and quickly determined.

Today, most of the materials in the modern aircraft cabin are fire resistant.

In addition, the toilets, for example, on the Boeing 777 have fire detection as well as extinguishing systems. Yes, more so in the lavatory waste containers where cigarette butts are likely to be disposed off by compulsive smokers!

Anyway, any smokers who attempt to secretly smoke in the toilets would trigger an alarm. An aural alert sounds inside and in the cabin. The captain and the flight attendants would all be notified.

There are also 10 smoke masks or PBE (personal breathing equipment) and 10 fire extinguishers (BCF) to be used by the crew to fight fire on board the cabin. All the crews are trained to fight in-flight cabin fire and they are tested every year.

Could the oxygen masks be deployed in such an in-flight smoke situation?

No. The deployment of the oxygen masks was meant for emergency depressurization in flight above 10,000 feet only. You know that oxygen would only aggravate the fire.

You can see the full video reconstruction of the Air Canada smoke/fire incident here.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com