Latest Comment

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

What you have to do
Hi Capt . Im a grade 12 student and i really want

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Safety > Is it ever possible for a plane to land so hard that the tail falls off?
Is it ever possible for a plane to land so hard that the tail falls off?
Aviation - Air Safety
Tuesday, 10 January 2006 01:50

Dear Captain Lim,

I am a great fan of flying and am most interested in designs and technology aboard the aircraft. Three things have popped into my mind:

One - is it ever possible for a plane to land so hard that the tail falls off? If so, would it be the pilot*s fault for reversing the engines too early?

Two - can pilots land under a condition that one of the engines is not operating and they have to "shut it off"? It must be hard to have to fight against the constant change in direction, say, if your left engine had failed.

Lastly - I have seen in videos where planes land on one wheel. Is it really common for that to happen?

Thanks

Eric.

Hi Eric,

The undercarriages of planes are designed to be incredibly tough. For instance, on the Boeing 777, very thorough tests had been carried out during the development stage. The plane was subjected to quite dreadful things before being even put to passenger service.

During the test, the plane was loaded up to maximum weight (about 297 tons or 632,500 lbs) by the use of water barrels or bags of sand, making sure that it could fly with a weight far higher than what it would be for normal service. Then they loaded the tail with heavy objects, such as bags of lead to make sure it could fly with all the weight at the back, at the front or at one side. They then tested the plane to see how it would take to the harsh landings. Instead of letting the plane do a normal soft landing, they would just drive it down the runway with a great thump and examined how the structure would react.

These tests were to ensure that, in normal circumstances with passengers where it would not get anywhere near these kinds of situations, the airplane would still be fully controllable and safe to land at. With such stringent tests, if the tail were to fall off, the landing gears would have to collapse first. I wouldn't foresee such an event unless it was a real uncontrolled crash.

Further, early initiation of reverse on the engines would not have any effect or contribute to the "tail falling off". In fact, reversing the engines as soon as the plane touches down is a good pilot technique as it shortens the landing run.

Landing with one engine "shut off" is not unusual as it is designed to be capable of doing so.

Landing on one wheel is not a common thing but it can happen on smaller twin-engine planes. Yes, there is a checklist for pilots in case they are caught in a situation where one of the main landing gear fails to extend. Properly handled, a landing with one gear extended is not a serious emergency.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com