(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Travel > A nervous passenger’s curiosity about the airplane cockpit…
A nervous passenger’s curiosity about the airplane cockpit…
Flying - Air Travel
Friday, 13 January 2012 14:38

Airbus A320 Cockpit (Note Black & White Trim Wheel)

Hello Capt Lim,

I'd firstly like to thank you for your site.  I have found the answers to many aviation questions I was curious about. There is however a couple I've not managed to find the answers to.

1. What are the black and white wheels next to the thrust leavers for? They seem to spin on their own sometimes.  I only ever recall seeing them in videos of Airbuses but am not totally sure if it's just the Airbuses that have them?

2. When I see videos from Airbus flight decks they always look strange to me as they are missing the yokes that Boeings and other aircraft have.  I was just wondering if you felt somewhat detached from flying using a joystick instead of the more traditional yokes.

3. This question again comes from seeing videos from the flight decks of airliners. I've seen some videos of approaches and landings that to a non-pilot like me, look pretty hair rising to say the least, with very poor visibility through the windscreen and some with hard and fast movements of the flight controls. Whilst I'm sure these are totally safe, I just wondered if you have ever found yourself in a situation as a pilot where you have felt nervous or slightly scared with the conditions you've found yourself flying in?

Once again thank you for your site... as a nervous passenger, but at the same time, someone who is fascinated with aircraft and flight, I have found this very helpful and reassuring.

James

Hi James,
  1. The black and white wheels are known as trim wheels that are used to reduce the forces of the flight controls during the cruise, climb or descent.  When you see them spinning on their own – they are in fact working automatically to reduce the control forces. They are also found on the Boeing.
  2.  All the modern Airbuses from the A320 to the A380 have moved from the conventional control wheels to the yoke (joystick). When I moved over from the Boeing 777 to the new Airbuses, I found the yoke a little strange but once I got used to it, I love it as the space in front allows a retractable tray to be installed. Pilots can now work or eat in comfort!
  3. Pilots are trained to fly the planes safely in most emergency situation. Whether they would be nervous or slightly scared are not in their mind when handling emergencies or flying the planes. 'Hard and fast movement' would contribute to unstabilized approach. In the airline industry, this constitutes an unsafe manoeuvre that calls for an aborted landing. Perhaps what you have witnessed were probably seen in smaller commuter planes.

I wish you safe flights and blue skies!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim 

Conventional Cockpit view of Boeing 787 (with Control Wheel Steering)

Luthansa Airbus A380 Cockpit Tour

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com