Latest Comment

Can you become an ai
Hi captain, I met with a road accident and got a s

Why do I experience
Having just returned from Newfoundland...I had two

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Travel > Where does the oxygenated cabin air of commercial airliner come from?
Where does the oxygenated cabin air of commercial airliner come from?
Flying - Air Travel
Monday, 14 January 2013 16:11

Jumbo Jet Lands With Gaping Hole in Side

Dear Capt. Lim,

Can you explain where the breathable cabin air of a commercial airliner comes from?

I know that for passenger comfort, the cabin is pressurized to 5000-7000 feet atmosphere but cruising at high altitudes (FL180 to FL400) where oxygen is very thin, where is the adequate oxygen needed for breathing comes from?

Is it coming from oxygen tanks tucked away somewhere below deck?

Are any stale air jettisoned or do they just keep recycling?

Does cabin air come in from engine intake or through separate air intake?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards,

James

Hi James

The breathable cabin air in all commercial airliners comes from air drawn in from the engine compressors. This compressed air is then regulated by valves in the plane and they are also responsible for the pressurization in the cabin.

Many believe that the oxygen available reduces as a plane climbs. That is only partly true. The percentage of oxygen in the air hardly changes. For instance, at the ground level, oxygen comprises 23 % of the air by weight and at 40,000 feet; it is still 23 % of the air.

What changes is that the higher you go the pressure of the atmosphere decreases and so in effect there is less air for the passengers to breathe. Less air means less oxygen. Don’t forget, the proportion of oxygen remains the same but for every breathe that you take you get a lesser proportion of oxygen delivered to your blood stream.

What pressurization does is to squeeze the rarefied high altitude air back together recreating the dense oxygen-rich condition at sea level so as to enable you to breathe normally again.

When a plane is cruising at high altitude, there is a differential pressure of between 5 to 8 pounds per square inch between the air outside and inside the plane – think of it as though the cabin is like the inside of a balloon.

Obviously if there is a leak in the cabin (”balloon”) for whatever reasons, the air will depressurise and the oxygen level will also drop. Hence, in such an emergency, the oxygen masks would drop at certain differential pressure. Pilots have been trained to handle such a situation and descend immediately to 10,000 feet, a safe level, in about 5 minutes (the emergency oxygen will last for about 20 minutes!)

As regards to the question as to where the oxygen comes from at high altitude, well they come naturally from the compressed air that you breathe from, not from any storage tanks! You only need oxygen when the plane depressurise during an emergency. They come from the emergency oxygen generators located at the ceiling, and as described above – they last for only about 20 minutes.

Any stale air in the cabin are filtered and recirculated.

To summarise, cabin air are compressed air from the engine air intake and not from any separate intake unless the plane is fully depressurised, then the pilot may open a ram air valve (normally during an emergency) below 10000 feet to allow natural ambient air from the outside.

As such, you are now unpressurised, uncomfortable and either very cold or very hot – depending on the outside conditions!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Cabin Depressurization Causes Release of Oxygen Masks

Qantas Airliner Plunges Thousands of Feet

Flying and Hypoxia (Oxygen Starvation)

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
M.D.
There is something wrong in the equation: High Altitude-Normal Partial Pressure of Oxygen in the cabin, of the airliner=23,8%.This is the dry air plus pollutants as smoke leaked into the cabin, from the engine. This brings about: Surfactant dysfunction:i.e.Alveoli do not open properly. That results in incomplete gas exchange. This lead to hypoxemia, mixed with pollutants. How do you
compensate for that?
Chagai Dubrawsky , 25 Jun, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com