What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Which is the safest aircraft to fly on?
Which is the safest aircraft to fly on?
Aviation - Airplanes
Wednesday, 14 September 2011 15:05

The Airbus A380
Hello Captain Lim,

Your website is awesome! Thank you for taking the time to answer questions for people about flying. I am also a scared flyer and my flight is in a month’s time and I am already looking for the safest aircraft to fly on.

My question is, since the Boeing 747 has four engines wouldn’t it be safer in case a engine failure than the Boeing 777? I read you posts about being able to fly on one engine on the Boeing 777 for three hours but what if you are going from Frankfurt, Germany to Dulles Washington (like me) and the engine failure happens and there are still 4-5 hours left for the flight?

Since the 747 has four engines would this increase your chances because there are two backups instead of just one?

Can the 747 fly on just one engine? If so, how far?

Thank you so much for your help and answers to calm my nerves.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Please read a previous similar question here on Boeing 747 versus Boeing 777.

A Boeing 777 is certified to fly 180 minutes on ETOPS (depends on the airlines – one with poor maintenance record may have its certification reduced to say 120 or 90 minutes diversion time from a suitable airport)  A Boeing 777 with 3 hours ETOPS can easily divert to any suitable airports along its route even though it may have 4-5 hours to its destination. As such, it would not be possible to arrive at Dulles airport, Washington but rather at any airports within 180 minutes away.

This is another previous answer that is similar to the answer from your no 2 question (see here)

Can a Boeing 747 fly on one engine? Yes, but at a very light weight. How far it would fly would depend on how much fuel is left and its load on board. I do not have any figures but my guess is, if the weight is very light, I believe it can easily fly to any suitable airports within an hour.

A B747 can and has survived on one engine. Many years ago, a Pan Am 747 made an emergency landing in Tokyo with one engine remaining. Needless to say, there was no possibility of a go around in case it screwed up the approach!

As for the Airbus A340, I do have some figures. With the failure of one engine, it can easily fly from, say, Singapore to London at an average altitude of around 33,000 ft - probably an hour longer.

With two engines out, it can cruise around 20,000 feet and fly for a considerable distance to a suitable airport.

With three engines out, (one engine left) it can only maintain an altitude of around 1500 feet at a very light weight of 160 tons compared to a take off weight of 275 tons (Provided it can dump off the current excess fuel in time!)

As regards to my preference on the safest plane to fly, I am more concerned on the reputation of the airlines rather than the planes I fly on. Nevertheless, my general preference would be on an Airbus A380/A340/A330 or Boeing 777/747-400. They are all equally good for mealt!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

The Luthansa Boeing 747-8

United Airlines Boeing 777

SIA Airbus A340 taking off from Kansai Airport

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Private Jet Charters
Great blog!! Please check out our sites as well:

http://www.pjsgroup.com/index.php

http://privatejetgroup.com/

Thank you! Look forward to reading more!!

Please contact with any questions:
Emma Bailey
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
603-760-0031
Emma , 16 Sep, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com