(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Which is the better plane – Boeing 747-400 or Airbus A340-600?
Which is the better plane – Boeing 747-400 or Airbus A340-600?
Aviation - Airplanes
Friday, 16 September 2011 14:49

Luthansa Boeing 747-400

Hi Captain Lim,

First, I just wanna give a big thanks to you for your great site. I just have 2 questions:

1. What is the difference between a Boeing 747-400 and the 744???

2. I have 2 choices to travel from Frankfurt to Los Angeles with Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A340-600. I just want to know which is better from your point of view.

Again, thank you sooo much!!

Mina

Airbus A340-600 taking off from Frankfurt

Hi Mina,

A Boeing 747-400 is the same as a 744 – an often abbreviated term. So a Boeing 747-300 is also written as '743' or the old classic Boeing 747-200 as '742'

Whether to travel on a Boeing 747-400 or Airbus A340-600 is a matter of preference. It does not matter to me - see my answer below Generally a Boeing 747-400 has the older technology and not a fly-by-wire (FBW) plane whereas an Airbus A340-600 is a slightly newer FBW plane.

The plus point for the Boeing 747-400 is that it takes turbulence better than the Airbus A340-600. The choice is yoursalt!

Have a pleasant flight to Los Angeles!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Boeing 747-400 landing Los Angeles

Airbus A340-600 landing at Boston

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (6)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
hi the 744 is a 747-400, they are not 2 different aicraft. so, next question: which is better? we cannot have a winner, just remember that the 346 is newer than 744, is more silent, burn less fuel and has a bigger cargo load (+ 25%), the rest.. it's up to you, I just prefere the 346
747captain , 17 Sep, 2011
hi the 744 is a 747-400, they are not 2 different aicraft. so, next question: which is better? we cannot have a winner, just remember that the 346 is newer than 744, is more silent, burn less fuel and has a bigger cargo load (+ 25%), the rest.. it's up to you, I just prefere the 346
747captain , 17 Sep, 2011
smoother aircraft
I have noticed-as traveler- that Boeing aircrafts are smooth rider on the long haul trips> in 1993-94 I have travelled on A340 between New Yourk and Bahrain (non-stop) and felt the difrence between Airbus and boeing big bird, maybe A330 is smoother than A340. Any correctness or coments?
Ali H. Hijazi , 14 Oct, 2011
Boeing 777-300er or A380-800 better?
Dear Capt lim,

i)I will like to ask, is the Boeing 777-300er or A380-800 better?(in terms of TAC & ETOPS)

Thank You

Best Regards
Mark
mark , 11 Nov, 2011
abc
hello hai
ramesh , 11 Nov, 2011
weather conditions
I only have experiences on several types of boeings as passenger. In october i will fly as passenger in the A340-300 long hail flight to Asia.
All experiences i had where good and all flights had some to severe turbulence, i guess that has nothing to do with the plane (maybe in size and speed?), but with weather conditions. Maybe how bigger the bird, how bigger the chance on turbulence? (correct me if i am wrong).

Flying within, from and to the EU countries, i would trust any airline. becaue the rules are so strict here. if the airline would not be safe, they would not fly here.
the choice is, you prefer luxury, good service and/or extra weight in your suitcase?
And if not want pay too much, which cons you find important and which cons are acceptable?

chris , 16 Jun, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com