(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Are aircraft standards lowering in this recessionary age?
Are aircraft standards lowering in this recessionary age?
Aviation - Airplanes
Thursday, 24 November 2011 12:53

Boeing 787 first flight

Hi Captain Lim,

During these global recessionary times where one often hears how difficult it is for the airline industry to make money, I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on how you felt this impacted the safety of the aircraft themselves.

Of particular interest/concern of me is the reports that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has quietly decided to loosen stringent fuel-tank safety regulations written after the 1996 fuel-tank explosion that destroyed flight TWA 800 off the coast of New York state.

I believe the FAA has relaxed the safeguards for preventing sparks inside the fuel tank during a lightning strike, as these standards the agency now calls "impractical" and coincidentally Boeing says its 787 Dreamliner cannot meet (its airframe is apparently built of composite plastic which makes lightning protection difficult).

Whilst I know this is a rather specific example, do you feel that this is symptomatic of an erosion in airline safety standards due to modern economic times, and do you think it could become more widespread?

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I find it not very easy to comment on this issue fully but I tend to go with the manufacturer (I am not a Boeing employee!) as the Dreamliner is already flying with ANA commercially in Japan now.

Sometimes one has to be practical as rules are man made. Remember, Airbus applied for certification of its newest plane, the A380 before the regulation and did not have to comply with the rules.

Boeing's engineers have redesigned the fuel tanks and have weighed the worst-case lightning threat and demonstrated that there was sufficient margin to rule out sparking.

One source said that the level of detailed design, test and analysis in the 787's wing-tank lightning protection appears to be greater than has been conducted previously in aviation.

The FAA also claims that the less stringent anti-sparking rule is balanced by an important new safety feature of the 787: its fuel-tank inerting system. As the level of fuel inside the wing falls during flight, the system pumps inert (nonflammable) nitrogen gas into the space created. That hugely reduces the danger of flammable vapor.

When the original 2001 rule was written, the FAA stated that it would consider relaxing the ignition-source rules in the future if there was improvement in the technology to lower flammability — "such as full-time fuel-tank inerting."

My opinion is - I do not feel that this is symptomatic of the erosion of airline safety standards due to modern economic times. I believe everyone in the airline industry cares for safety and I do not think aircraft standards are any lower today. Boeing experts insist that the 787 will be safer in a lightning storm than any jet flying today.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at
@CaptKHLim

Boeing 787 first landing at Boeing Field

TWA Flight 800

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Excellent reply to my modern safety standards question
thank you for taking time out to reply, it was excellent to hear such a well informed response!
Mark , 24 Nov, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com