(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner safe?
Is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner safe?
Aviation - Airplanes
Thursday, 10 January 2013 13:42

JAL Boeing 787 fire breaks out at Boston Logan Airport

Dear Captain Lim,

I found out on the Boeing 787 website that states how safe and innovative the aircraft is, then I heard from the news that 2 Boeing 787s of Japan Airlines had problems!

One of the aircraft had fuel leak before air-borne while the other one had fire in the cabin on the ground?

Is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner safe?

Best regards,

Anthony (Hong Kong)

Hi Anthony,

These are some of the teething problems and they are foreseen with any new aircraft program. It happened on the Airbus A330, A380 and Boeing 777 as well. Does it mean that all these planes are unsafe to fly on too?

Commercially, all manufacturers would claim that their new planes are very safe. Indeed they have designed them with all the best and safest features available but all such defects do have some element of human or manufacturing errors that are sometimes difficult to foresee.

For instance, the fire incidence above was attributed to the introduction of the lithium ion battery which has higher energy than previous ones used on the Boeing 777s. The battery was used to start  the APU (auxillary power unit)  which also provides the back up lightings. It is believed that it has problems in the charging and discharging processes that wasn't foreseen. That resulted in the fire that apparently was caused by some electrical arcing whilst the plane was on the ground after all the passengers have left the plane.

Meanwhile ANA, JAL and Qatar Airways are among the largest customers of the Dreamliners out of the 800 plus firm orders worldwide. As far as I know, none of these airlines has made any cancellations because of the current problems yet.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Boeing 787 Farnborough 2012 Display

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
landing
Dear Capt Lim you said that aircrafts like boeing 777 are designed to fly in case of engine failure for about 1:30 hours maybe more and this is to give time to the pilot to land safe on the nearer airport, but there is always a near airport when this happens, for example on my flight to cuba, there is always going to be an airport close for landing in case of engine failure?, are this aircrafts designed to land safely on the sea without risking the life of passengers? thanks again for this website is realy helpful, congratulations, with respect i ll say that thanks to you and this website I feel that flying is a lot more safe that what I used to beleive, I flew many times before but now I ll do it with more confidence, waiting for your answer, Raidel.
Raidel , 31 Dec, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com