(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Hacking into a Boeing 787 Dreamliner?
Hacking into a Boeing 787 Dreamliner?
Aviation - Airplanes
Sunday, 13 January 2008 17:21
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Yes, there has been concern about the new networking structure of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. This is because the Boeing 787 allows new kind of passenger connectivity that can pose safety issues when the data and system of the plane are intruded. Consequently, the passenger networks may be able to eventually control the in-plane networked systems. This raises the possibility of the plane being hacked in flight.    

In a report released last week, the FAA said that Boeing had left the pilots' computers open to attack by connecting the Dreamliner's entertainment system to the pilots' controls. A hacker with a computer and some IT training potentially could hijack the system from his seat.  

Boeing now has to fulfill special conditions before the Dreamliner is certified safe. The 787's maiden flight is scheduled for March 2008 with deliveries supposed to begin in November.

David Learmount, safety editor of Flight International, said: "The FAA is obviously very concerned about this. It's not the kind of organization that fires shots across the bows if it doesn't think it was needed.  
 "It's not good enough to have systems which can be hacked into and then disabled by the pilot. The hacker might have put a bug into the system which screws up the navigation. The FAA doesn't want a system like that. "They're saying: don't bring us an aircraft someone can hack into."  

The Dreamliner is the most successful new commercial airplane in Boeing's history. It is Boeing's response to the Airbus A380 super-jumbo and is crucial to the company's success.

Lori Gunter, a Boeing spokeswoman, said that Boeing had designed a system to counter the threat but admitted that it had not yet been tested.

Ms Gunter said that data could pass between the passenger and flight networks, but said there were "protections in place to ensure that the passenger internet service doesn't access the maintenance data or the navigation system under any circumstances".

What's the worry about?

Personally, I think it is not possible to design a plane that is 100 per cent safe against any attacks. My view about this is that, it is only a very remote possibility of it ever happening. Even if it is possible, the pilots would be there to override the system and take over the control manually. That is what they are paid to do! (Forget about the pilot and the dog story!Laughing)

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Episode 1
Boeing 787 Dreamliner Episode 2
Boeing 787 Dreamliner Episode 3
Boeing 787 Dreamliner Episode 4
Boeing 787 Dreamliner Episode 5
A Boeing 787 Dreamliner Flight
The Dreamliner

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Idiotic
Anyone who thinks Boeing would allow a passenger entertainment system to be anywhere remotely connected to a) passenger laptop, etc. b) the inflight entertainment system has got to be a COMPLETE IDIOTIC MORON...in today's world of terrorism and the simple joy of millions of hackers, Boeing isn't THAT FREAKING STUPID..this is probably just a mere rumor or someone trying to get some cheap ink on some white spaced web-page....come on people...put your brains back in your head!
brad , 24 Jan, 2008
What do you mean you don't think a plane can be designed to be 100% safe from any attack? Are you talking structurally or terrorist-related? I sure hope so structurally, and terrorist-related I can't see any method except for anti-aircraft artillery fire when taking off or landing in rogue states.
Derek , 18 May, 2009

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com