(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airplanes > Why the flight deck of an airplane is called a "cockpit"?
Why the flight deck of an airplane is called a "cockpit"?
Aviation - Airplanes
Sunday, 29 August 2010 13:18

Dear Captain Lim,

Why the flight deck of an airplane is called a "cockpit"?

Regards,

Masuma.

Hi Masuma,

Since the day I started to fly an airplane, the area where the pilots sit in front to control the plane has always being referred to as the “cockpit”.  Why it is often referred to as such is probably due to the fascination and uniqueness of this term. There are neither “cocks” nor “pits” around in the first place and yet the term is stuck to mean the flight deck of an airliner.

From the sources that I have researched, "cockpit" also comes from the rather barbaric sport of cockfighting and refers to the pit in which the fights occurred. Shortly thereafter, the word naturally attained a connotation as being related to any scene of grisly combat.

Let’s have a look at an excerpt from word-detective.com:

The first "cockpits" were actual pits in the ground constructed (to the extent that one "constructs" a pit) to house "cockfights" to the death between game cocks (essentially very belligerent chickens). Cockfighting, a barbaric "sport" usually conducted for gambling purposes, probably originated in ancient China and remains distressingly popular around the world.

Well, this term is also used in relation to ships. "Cockpit" in the 1700s was referred to as the compartment below decks on a British naval vessel. The often cramped and confined compartment was placed below the waterline and served as quarters for junior officers as well as for treating the wounded during battle.

Here is another version of the explanation by another source from the Internet:

In the early days of aviation aircraft had open cockpits and the overhead of biplanes had wet wings. The petcock, which is usually a small spring loaded valve to control fuel flow from the tanks to the engine as well as to drain a sample of fuel from the tanks for contaminants such as water or grit that may inadvertently enter the fuel.

A person could drain off the water which is heavier than fuel. Water sinks to the lowest part of the tank - where the petcock is installed. The actual petcock on most early aircraft was where the wings came together at the center of the fuselage which was directly overhead the open seat of the pilot, making where the pilot sat as the pit under the petcock or "cockpit".

Even today, a room on the lower deck of a yacht or motor boat where the crew quarters are located is often called a "cockpit". In addition, the rudder control space from which a vessel is steered is sometimes called a "cockpit" since a watchman in the highest position is called a cock, and a cavity in any vessel is called a pit.

Just like how the word “knots” to measure the sailing speed as well as “port and starboard” (left and right) sides of a ship and amongst others, are also applied on airplanes. So “cockpit”, as an often confined space used for control purposes, was also applied to aircraft around 1914 by pilots during World War I. In keeping with this same meaning, the tightly confined control space of a racing automobile has also became known as a cockpit by about 1935*. 

So, in the modern sense “cockpit” now includes the entire crew areas of large airliners, which are usually fairly spacious and not the scene of conflict.

*Source(s): A&P/IA

An Airbus A380 Cockpit

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
strange name
I would rather prefer the name flight deck
farook , 26 Mar, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com