(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airways > Where in the World am I?
Where in the World am I?
Flying - Airways
Friday, 22 September 2006 09:32

Hi Capt Lim,

Good to have you back!!

I fly quite a bit, and enjoy taking pictures along the way. Unfortunately I usually don*t know where we are at any given time.

My camera puts a time stamp on the picture file, and since I almost always take photographs during the takeoff and landing, I know those times, and thus the time from the origination and destination airport to a given location. But the distance has me thrown. Is there a rough average speed I should consider to do this calculation?

I recently flew from Ontario (California) to Nashville (Tennessee), and we flew over a couple of airports. I knew the elapsed time, and I figured 300 mph for the speed. I used a highway map to find the approximate location, which turned out to be either Phoenix, Flagstaff or Las Vegas. Then I went to the Internet to find runway diagrams for those three cities, but none of them matched my pictures!

Aren't the air routes pretty much standardized, so if I got a set of aeronautical charts (Jeppesen?), wouldn*t they show the route the plane is taking? And isn't there a set of books that has runway diagrams?

What if I got a small handheld GPS? It would show me long/lat, but would it work inside the aircraft, and would I even be allowed to use it?

I guess I could just ask the flight attendants, but they probably have better things to do than respond to "Oh, that's cool, what is it?" and "Wow, where are we now?" kinds of questions every 20 minutes (my wife says I*m like an overgrown kid when it comes to flying)!

Larry

LARRY L. BURRISS, Ph.D., J.D.

Professor, School of Journalism
Middle Tennessee State University

Hi Larry,

In most of the modern commercial airliners (Yes, Boeing 777 included) today, your current position in flight is shown on the "moving map" (we call it the Air Show) in front of you. So, you are where you are on the map! Arrgh… maybe you were not on board one of those planes :-) !

What you did to calculate your air position were also the basic procedure used by pilots except that they knew the actual ground speed. In your case, using 300 mph, if you were on a jet plane, would give you the wrong position! You should work on 500 mph, as this speed would give you a better estimate. As a rule of thumb, this would be in the region of 8 miles per minute. Hence, in 10 minutes, you would have flown, roughly 80 miles.

Yes, air routes are pretty standardized but planes do not necessarily fly along them all the times. They may do "dog-leg" or deviate along the airways to avoid weather, for instance, the nasty thunderstorms.

Detailed runway diagrams are found in the Jepperson Charts and those from books are less accurate as they are hardly updated.

As far as the handheld GPS is concerned, it is like the PDA or Palm Top (see
here). You cannot use it during the take off, approach and landing but you can do so once the seat belt signs are off (usually passing 10,000 feet) during the cruise. Ah, from what I know, a GPS receiver requires an unobstructed line to each satellite it is tracking. A reliable position indication requires signals from at least 3 satellites, and if elevation of the location is required, at least 4 satellites are necessary.

Inside the airplane cabin, it may not be possible for the satellite signals to reach the GPS unit and therefore, it is unlikely that you can use the GPS on board effectively. In other words, the incoming signals for the GPS may be shielded by the airplane*s structure.

Yes, it is okay to ask the Flight Attendants about your current position during their lean period in flight. I do get such requests through the cabin crew quite often on long haul flights. It helps to keep me awake :-) !

Boeing 777 Air Show Channel - Auckland to San Francisco
... and From San Francisco to Auckland

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com