(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airways > What are common air routes over the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans?
What are common air routes over the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans?
Flying - Airways
Monday, 07 January 2008 20:01

Hello Capt Lim,

I don't get fearful when flying over land but when flying over the larger oceans, it is more stressful for me, although my fears are somewhat irrational. However, I was wondering what are the common routes over the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans? How far from a landing strip are most commercial jets at any given time? For example, if my plane left Charlotte, North Carolina for London, would it go straight over the ocean or would it head up the East Coast and over Iceland, Greenland, and then toward the British Isles? What would be the route for a trip from San Francisco to Tokyo?

Thank you for your great website.

Howie Schaffer,
Takoma Park, MD, USA.

Hi Howie,

Please read an almost identical question in my previous FAQ. Most airlines would endeavor to use the shortest routes between 2 points. These are Great Circle routes and appear curved on the map in the TV screens on board most modern airliners today.

Across the Atlantic, because of the high volume of air traffic between the USA and Europe, there is a system of Airways with special defined separation to permit more aircraft to fly at different directions at specific times of the day. These Airways are not fixed but change every 12 hours to cater for weather and the jet stream flow. So I am unable to describe precisely your routing.

Thus your flight from Charlotte to London would most likely see the airplane heading North East to the south of Greenland and Iceland, then South East to the British Isles, appearing like a curvy route. Similarly, from San Francisco to Tokyo, the plane would fly North West towards the Pacific Ocean, then South West to Tokyo.

Have a pleasant curvy flight on your next journey :-) !

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
question
Hello,I took a flight from Berlin to miami and the route was terrifying becasue the pilots took a route pretty much directly over the atlantic thru bermuda,etc.I was monitoring it on the touch screen on my chair and it was far from any land.It was my understanding that flights needed to be closer to land in case there was an emergency and we all didnt have to go swimming in the atlantic. Wish someone woud clarify this problem I have with the air Berlin route.
sam lombardi , 07 Dec, 2012
Why do airplanes fly over water to mexico ?
I have a big fear of flying, especially if it's going over water. I have 3 kids and I worry that if something were to happen I wouldn't want to see my children drown, or in pain. Is there any alternative routes to fly to mexico without going over the water?
Bibi , 22 Mar, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com