(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airways > Many queries from a Flight Dispatcher about Polar Routes.
Many queries from a Flight Dispatcher about Polar Routes.
Flying - Airways
Wednesday, 26 March 2008 05:03
Dear Capt Lim,

First of all I would like to say that this is the greatest aviation website on the Internet. I have some questions about Boeing 777 and Polar routes.

PIA (Pakistan International Airline) is planning to operate Boeing 777's from Pakistan to USA and Canada via the Polar routes in the future,

1. I want to know about Polar routes. How many airlines are operating over these routes?
  2. Are the Boeing 777's capable of operating on Polar route? What about the Boeing 747- 400?
  3. What forms of communication are used? What are the alternate and emergency airports?
  4. Who control the Polar flights - Euro or Russia?
  5. Where can we file the ATC flight plans and to whom would they be addressed to?
  6. Can I get a copy of the computerized fight plan (CFP) of any airline/aircraft?

Best regards,

Faisal Nazir
Flight Dispatcher
Karachi, Pakistan

Hi Faisal,

1.   There are many major Airlines operating the Polar routes, notably United, Continental, Northwest, Delta, Air Canada, Air China, Russia's KrasAir  and Cathay Pacific.   The advantages are obvious; it reduces the flight time, increases the payload and also there is the absence of turbulence. 

However, polar routes give rise to some issues that are absent in the conventional flights.  Polar routes subject airplanes to operate under extreme temperatures in the artic environment where suitable and alternate airports are limited.  They require special navigation and communication equipment. 

There is the problem of ozone shield as the airplane would be flying above the Tropopause. In-flight fuel management due to the cold fuel is some additional issues to be considered. If fuel temperatures approach temperature limits in flight, aircraft have to change altitude to а warmer level or increase the speed (Increasing the Mach number by every 0.01, results in an increase of half а degree Celsius in fuel temperature)

2.   Yes the Boeing 777's, 747-400's and the Airbus 340-500's are all capable of operating the Polar routes.

3.  Besides the normal communications, the modern data link and ADS (Automatic Dependent Surveillance) as installed on the Boeing 777 would be required for the Polar routes. The aircraft communications addressing and reporting services (ACARS) data link is the primary company communications and the CPDLC (Controller Pilot Data Link Communications) are also used. There is а CPDLC gap above 82 degrees North on both sides of the North Pole that is yet to be addressed and in the meantime, HF must be used in this area. For company communications, ACARS data link is used below 82 degrees north, but above that, HF radio for long distance operations control are pre-coordinated by airline dispatch with San Francisco Arinc, Stockholm and Cedar Woods Radio.

Here are some of the alternate or emergency airports for the Polar routes. At Polar-1, there are Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk, at Polar-2, Irkutsk and Polar-3 and 4, Yakutsk. Krasnoyarsk has a 3700 meters long runway. 

4. The Polar routes are controlled by Russia and Canada.

5. Flight planning services are available from SITA (Airline Telecommunication and Information  Services) at a fee from:-

SITA
Flight Operation Services
London Data Processing Centre
Clock Tower Road,
Isleworth Middlesex
TW7 6DT
United Kingdom.

6.   Get Pakistan International Airlines to pay a fee to SITA above and you will be able to get a sample copy of the Computerized Flight Plan (CFP) of any airline or aircraft. 

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (19)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Flight Dispatcher jobs , Low-rated comment [Show]
RE:Dispatcher License Conversation
There is no license in Australia for flight dispatchers. We do not legally exist in the regulatory framework (www.casa.gov.au).
Most airlines require the equivalent of the ATPL theory subjects and or extensive experience as a dispatcher, pilot or ATC.

There is at most 90 flight dispatchers employed in Australia. Our roles differ depending on which airline we work for. And we generally get paid less then an Operations Controller or a Crew Controller, yet we are the only technical experts out of the three and are the only ones that CASA will audit.
Aussie Dispatcher , 22 Sep, 2009
dispatcher license
Hello ..
I have a query.
I hold a FAA dispatch licence and would like to work in europe. I have tried looking in website if FAA licence is recognisable in European Union, unfortunately, no information.
Apparently, working in europe, it is not called flight dispatcher as there is no such title but a ramp side/ operations ... cud you advise me if there's any possibilities locating a specific website or a european company would hire a faa dispatch licence holder. thk you.
freida , 17 Mar, 2010
Flight Dispatch Officer
Capt lim,
I currently hold the Nigerian Flight Dispatch license and working for one of the commercial airlines in nigeria. I have one year working experience and would like to attend a refresher course in USA to enable the revalidation of my license. my question is:will i be required to go through the normal 6 weeks training or less.
regards.
Grant Inyang , 09 Jun, 2010
NEED GUIDNESS ABOUT FLIGHT DISPATCHER OFFICER
I AM 19 YEARS OLD AND PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS THE JOBS CONNDITION IN DUBAI
M.HASSAN KHAN , 17 Sep, 2011
Diploma in flight dispatcher
I am a have a diploma in flight dispatcher and groundhandling from Delta- flight school Chennai India. do i need to go for another 6 weeks training to have my FAA license and can i get a job with the diploma certificate with any airline worldwide
Yusuf Friday , 12 Oct, 2011
enquiry
hi sir iam jayashankar from chennai , i want to know whether fight dispatcher and ground handling course is valuable course and also which college is best one to study it.
thanking you
jayashankar , 26 Nov, 2011
Looking For A Job In Australia
Dear,

I am an aircraft dispatcher with JAA Certificate.
I have worked in Turkish Airlines between 1999 and 2008.I used to work in operation control center of the Turkish Airlines as a dispatcher between 2006-2008.I renewed my licence in 2011.I look forward to opportunity to work in any airlines in Australia.

Yours Faitfully.

Hakan Gumus
21/27 Courtney St.
North Melbourne
VIC Australia
+610415 284 104
Hakan Gumus , 14 Mar, 2012
Dear,

I am an aircraft dispatcher with JAA Certificate.
I have worked in Turkish Airlines between 1999 and 2008.I used to work in operation control center of the Turkish Airlines as a dispatcher between 2006-2008.I renewed my licence in 2011.I look forward to opportunity to work in any airlines in Australia.

Yours Faitfully.

Hakan Gumus
21/27 Courtney St.
North Melbourne
VIC Australia
+610415 284 104
Hakan Gumus , 14 Mar, 2012
FLIGHT DISPATCHER JOB IN AUSTRALIA
DEAR CAPTAIN LIM,

I AM A FLIGHT DISPATCHER IN PAKISAN (PRIVTE CARRIER)
I HAVE A FLIGHT DISPATCHER LICENSE
NOW I WANT JOB IN THE AUSTRALIA IN AVIATION FEILD IF I COME TO AUSTRALIA AND DO MBA(AVIATION) IN AUSTRALIA SO IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY TO GET JOB IN AUSTRALIA

MY EMAIL IS ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )
ABDULLAH , 29 Mar, 2012
Flight dispatcher certificate
With due respect sir,
I have got flight dispatcher certificate from pakistan international airline training center. Now , can I appear in f.a.a or j.a.a exams to get those license. And can I appear in g.a.c.a k.s.a for license?

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Gt , 28 Aug, 2012
flight dispatcher
Dear sir/madam
I have a nigerian flight dispatcher license and I reside in nigeria.I would like to work in dubai UAE.do I need to convert my license to FAA or GCAA or with FAA license can I work in dubai?
Contact me @ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it thank you
aguiyi golden , 09 Jan, 2013
HOW TO CONVERT A DCA FLIGHT DISPATCHER LICENCE TO INDIAN LICENCE
sir,
i want to know how to convert a DCA flight dispatcher licence to DGCA licence .because i did my course in Malaysia
with jeppesen and i got a dca licence . but now i am in India and like to work in India but i don't know the producer how to convert the licence .place guide me .thanking you
my mail id: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
KARTHIK , 19 Jan, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com