(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Emergencies > What is the pilot's elevator failure drills during take off?
What is the pilot's elevator failure drills during take off?
Flying - Emergencies
Wednesday, 16 November 2005 06:24

Hi Captain Lim,

I have a question on elevators. There have been a lot of questions on engine failure after V1 (safety speed) and so on. I have a scenario where the elevators fail during takeoff. I know the control surfaces are checked for proper working during the taxi.

As the aircraft starts its takeoff run, crosses V1 and reaches the Vr (rotate speed), the pilot pulls the control column to rotate the nose up. The elevators fail to work (due to mechanical/electrical failure, etc) and the pilot have no warning till that point of the malfunction. The engines are on full thrust but the aircraft is not airborne yet.

What action can be taken? Does the simulator have any such scenario?

Thank you

Sridhar

Hi Sridhar,

The scenario you have mentioned is very remote in modern aircraft and I have not come across such an event being programmed in the simulator that I have flown. I have known of a few cases of elevator failures but they did not occur during the take off at after V1.

Below are two examples of elevator-related accidents in the US:

The first one involved a McDonnell Douglas DC-8 in February 16, 2000. It crashed into an automobile salvage yard shortly after takeoff while attempting to return to Sacramento Airport, California, for an emergency landing. The two pilots and a flight engineer on board this cargo flight were killed and the airplane was destroyed. The NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) attributes the probable cause of the accident to a loss of pitch control resulting from the disconnection of the right elevator control tab.

The second one happened in on January 8, 2003 where an Air Midwest Beechcraft crashed shortly after takeoff from the runway at Charlotte, North Carolina. The 2 flight crewmembers and 19 passengers aboard the airplane were killed and the impact forces and a post crash fire destroyed the airplane. The NTSB determines that the probable cause of this accident was the airplane's loss of pitch control (elevator) during the takeoff.

In the above two cases, there were nothing the pilots could do to save the day as they were already airborne.

However, on one case that I know of where the control cable failed, the pilot (a personal friend of mine) was able to land the Twin Otter safely with the use of throttles to control the pitch (power on - pitch up, power reduce - pitch down) and the trim control to move the elevators.

Yes, there is a drill in the scenario that you have just created - loss of elevator control after V1. Well, you abort the take off! (Reduce thrust, select speed brakes, reverse thrust and maximum braking). This is the only exception against the normal philosophy that one should never abort after V1. Aborting a take off after the safety speed does come with some risks but it is the only safe course of action left!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com