(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > Many questions from a fearful flier...
Many questions from a fearful flier...
Flying - Fear of Flying
Saturday, 17 December 2011 06:35

TCAS Alert

Hey Captain Lim,

I have a fear of flying. Here are my questions with respect to commercial airlines such as Cathay Pacific and Air China. I read earlier posts but don't seems to find answers to my questions. Getting knowledge might decrease my fears. Thanks for reading and helping:-

1. I fear of plane coming on top accidently or my plane hitting the one underneath. Does a pilot knows how many planes are flying around him and at what heights? Recently, a Japan airlines plane went down a few hundred feet and it could have hit the plane flying below (I read it in earlier posts here that the  pilot presses a wrong button)

2. Is it true that planes fly under each other?

3. So, do planes have cameras on top, bottom and around so they know in advance if some other planes are accidently coming towards them? With camera installed, a pilot can see if other planes are coming on its top and can do something to avoid the collision.

4. How does the communication works once plane is in the air? Can a pilot communicate with other pilots who are flying close by?

5. Thrust issue: Let's say a plane loses its thrust going from Vancouver to Hong Kong, are there enough airports below so that it can land somewhere?

6. How long can a plane fly if it losses all the engines thrust? Do pilots choose flight path so that they can land safely in case plane loses all of its thrust?

I know that there are many airports going from Vancouver to Asia over Pacific Ocean; so if a plane loses thrust; it's still safer than flying from Toronto to England as there are no airports in the Atlantic Ocean. What you guys think?

7. Why don't airlines give parachutes to passengers? Would it not be a good idea that  in an emergency passengers can  jump out with parachutes before the plane crashes?

Manny

Hi Manny,

Most of what you asked has been answered before. Anyway, here are some brief answers:-

1. Yes, pilots are aware of all traffic around the plane. They get all the information from the TCAS - Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System. In fact, the TCAS even warn pilots if their planes are on a collision course and direct them on what to do to prevent the collision.

2. Yes, planes do fly under each other separated by between 1000 to 2000 feet. This is normal.

3. Planes do not require cameras at the top, bottom or all around to view other traffic. TCAS, as mentioned above can do the job better. However, the more advanced Boeing 777 and Airbus A380 do have cameras positioned at strategic locations mainly to view the plane exterior due to its size or to manoeuvre on the ground rather than to spot other planes.

4. Yes, pilots can communicate with other planes in the air either through a common radio frequency or via an emergency frequency.

5. In an emergency when a plane is forced to land, there are enough airports between Vancouver and Hong Kong for the plane to divert to.

6. Losing all engines is a very remote possibility. Nevertheless, in the event that it does happen, a plane can glide for about 100 miles from around 40,000 feet.

There are sufficient airports between Toronto and England for a plane to divert to in case of a medical emergency or a single engine failure.

The route to be flown are planned by qualified dispatchers based on the shortest distance and weather along the journey. The routes have to satisfy legal requirments such that they are always within a diversion airport at any point.

7. I have written an article that answers your question about passengers and parachutes in the Travel 3Sixty magazine here.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

How TCAS works

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com