What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I Am So Afraid Of the Plane Crashing!
I Am So Afraid Of the Plane Crashing!
Flying - Fear of Flying
Thursday, 28 February 2008 10:16

Hi Kristy,

I wish you and other many fearful flyers read my past FAQ as all those that you have just asked me have been covered before. I received so many questions daily that it is not possible for me to reply to each and everyone anymore - except when I am free ...and then I will entertain one or two. (Even though I have upgraded and transferred most of my old posts to this new site, I regret to say that I have not been able to fix all the broken links - there are about 1000 FAQ!)

Tonight, you are lucky... I will repeat or point out some links to your questions.

For a plane to crash during the cruise - it is extremely slim but it can happen. See here. Even if a plane has lost all its engines, it is still flyable - see this video “Flying on Empty”.

Do not worry about any diversionary airports along the entire route in the event of an emergency. Pilots plan their routes carefully for the flight would be illegal if no alternate airports were nominated. See one FAQ pertaining to the Boeing 777 on a route between Perth and Dubai here. Once you are over the land, there many airports to choose from.

You can read the topic on Ditching here regarding planes crashing onto water. If a ditching is well executed, it is likely that the plane may stay afloat initially if it was intact. So there is no question about the doors not being able to open.

On a prepared ditching, all passengers would have been briefed to wear their lifejackets prior to leaving the plane. If a plane is submerged, then there is a chance that it may not be in one piece. So one has to escape through any cracks rather than trying to open any doors!

A plane will not nose dive unless it suffers from control problems. It has happened to older planes in the past but modern planes today have many redundant controls to make such a thing happening very remote. In fact, a plane without control problems is inherently very stable during a dive. It will recover when it regains its speed - something like a paper plane!

For the explanation about turbulence, there are many FAQ here.

Meanwhile, you can watch some videos on Fear of Flying as explained by a retired airline pilot (Captain Stacey) below:-

Airline and Airport Security

Aircraft Strength

Take Off Explained

Air Turbulence

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Airplane Flight in . . . Two Days! , Low-rated comment [Show]
Omg im so scared of the plane and i'm going on a plane in 5 days!
smilies/sad.gif hi,my names Chloe and i am so scared of the plane. And i have to go on one in 5 days!smilies/cry.gif I am so scared and i have searched loads of information about planes and how safe they are but they dont help that much. Pleaase help!
-chloe
Chloe , 07 Aug, 2010
scared scared very scared !!!
i have to flight to europe in one week i m sick only thinking to get on the plane, when they closed the door i m ready to live the plane, i can t contol myself,plus i have to take my boy with me, can some one help me?is a long flight miami-dusserdolf-viena so i m non sure if i will be able to remain on the plane afther they move for take off, they going to let me out if i ask ?
francisca , 11 Jun, 2011
I Am Going On A Plane In May And IM NOT Petrified Im Just Nervous Because I Have Never Been On A Plane Before, You will be fine on a plane because you are more safer on a plane then you are in A car Or an Other Transport So Dont worry At All smilies/smiley.gif
Jade , 17 Jan, 2012
Just About Flying
I Am going On a plane In May This Year And It is Safer To Travel In A Plane Then Any other Transprt It wont crash so dont worry. I Am Not Really Scared Im just Nervous because I Have never been On A Plane But dont worry smilies/smiley.gif
Jade , 17 Jan, 2012
Dont worry!
smilies/smiley.gif everything will be fine , you may be scared going on a plane but once you take off you get used to the pressure and what i would say is bring something like a ipad , iPod to take your mind of things im travelling with my cousin for the first time as i always Travel with my family . Also because of the pressure up in the skies there may be a chance of your ears popping So bring gum or sweets and if you Need to yawn !!!
Mary , 25 Jul, 2013
Technical Consultant
The B777 had computer malfunction in 2005,A fuel system incident at high altitude and two accidents at 'approach'
High fuel flow demand, causes malfunction!.The pioneering quad jets, De Havilland Comet(Nimrod)and the B707 flew at same altitudes as early as '50s.
Enough is enough, B777 has betrayed a serious flight safety hazard.1100 hazardous ones still hauling 200 as many unsuspecting passengers!I guess aviation regulators are listening.
mayampurath jayamohan , 29 Jul, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com