(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > Why didn't the pilot explain this to the passengers before takeoff?
Why didn't the pilot explain this to the passengers before takeoff?
Flying - Fear of Flying
Sunday, 26 July 2009 07:39

Capt Lim, love your website!

Back in the mid 1990's I was on a flight from Washington National Airport to Norfolk International - a short hop of about 45 minutes. The plane was a Boeing 737. I had flown numerous times in the past, and have a decent understanding of flight dynamics.

Normally, when you take off you are cleared to fly the runway heading up to a predetermined altitude. This initial "climb-out' usually lasts for several minutes - but this flight was very different. Within 30 seconds of take off, there was a sharp left turn during which the engines were significantly throttled back. Then a sharp turn back to the right during which the throttles went to full power.

This seemed odd to me and the other passengers. It was all over in a few minutes and then it hit me. We were flying out of Washington National on the north-bound runway. This put the plane on a direct course over the Washington Monument and the White House. These rapid turns and throttle shifts were required to prevent the plane from entering it.

Why didn't the pilot explain this to the passengers before takeoff? A short announcement such as, "30 seconds after take off, we will begin a series of sharp turns to avoid airspace restrictions over Washington. These series of turns will last about 2 minutes, then straight and level on to Norfolk"

A simple announcement like this could have prevented 100 people from going in to a state of panic that something might be wrong with the plane, or that we were attempting to avoid a collision.

If a pilot knows well in advance that something "unusual" is going to happen, shouldn't he make the passengers aware?

Cody Oliver
Richmond VA

Hi Cody,

I agree with you that an appropriate announcement would definitely ease the fears of some travelers who are not used to such maneuvers or “noise abatement procedures”. Most airlines have some guidelines on how and when to communicate with their fare-paying passengers.

A well-organized captain would try to get the announcement across prior to take off but sometimes, there are more pressing safety procedures or important check list that needed be carried out first. Perhaps, through an oversight, the announcement might have been omitted.

Yes, the Washington National Airport is one of the most stringently noise-controlled airports in the United States. If the noise limitation is violated, whichever airlines involved would be subjected to a civil penalty up to $5,000 per violation.

The airport procedures in Washington National specify that pilots departing to the north must fly northwest over the Potomac River corridor or fly northeast over the Anacostia River corridor.

Further, pilots are also urged to cut back on the amount of power during takeoff. At an altitude of 1,500 feet, the thrust is reduced to a level that would allow the aircraft to climb at approximately 500 feet per minute and normal climb power is reapplied when the aircraft is 10 miles from the airfield.

These procedures may cause some concern to some passengers not used to them and obviously some announcements to this effect would have been very helpful.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Not surprise, majority of pilots in Northwest are ex U.S. Air Force's fighter pilots.
Tony , 01 Aug, 2009
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
A wise pilot told me, focus on the flying first, navigation next, and then worry about calming the nerves of the self-loading-cargo ..

Sometimes when a pilot fails to tell the passengers as to what is going in .. it may seem awful, but the man or woman up-front is tied up with more urgent things - like making sure the plane is safe and flying properly, before telling bedtime stories ..

Am I right ???
Michael , 15 Mar, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com