PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > A little girl's request for help for her friend’s fear of flying
A little girl's request for help for her friend’s fear of flying
Flying - Fear of Flying
Friday, 03 September 2010 05:51

Hello,

My name is Amanda and I am only 10 years old. I have flown quite a lot. One of my friends has never flown before and this year her family is going to Sydney.

She is a bit scared about flying and says she has never actually flown anywhere in a plane before. She wanted me to ask if there is anything that you can help to take her mind off flying as she is a bit scared of heights.

If she were to sit near the wing of the plane and stared out the window, would she be less scared than to sit where you can see the ground?

The reason why I ask you is because whilst I was flying with Air Asia once, I found a magazine with a paragraph you wrote and I thought that you might be able to help me. I found you answered some of my questions and put my mind at ease about flying.

Thank you.

Regards,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your concern for your friend. I wrote a lot on Fear of Flying here. You can direct her to the answers or you can get an adult to help her out for some of the explanations in the many articles there.

Generally, window seats are preferred by those for the obvious reason in that they can look outside during the take off and landing. I have mentioned previously, that looking out also helps those who are prone to motion sickness (one of the triggers of flying fears). Of course, you don't have much to see after leveling off during the cruise other than clouds, endless land or water or, if you are lucky, you may catch the occasional planes passing by.

So I would suggest that she sits near to window seat where she can see the ground rather than where she could just stare outside only.

Every individual reacts differently as to what triggers their fear of flying. Yes, fear of heights is one of them.

Fear of heights (also known as acrophobia) and ultimately leading to fear of flying can prevent you from doing things you want to do – that is, to go on a nice vacation, see the world or visit your family!

Causes of acrophobia can arise from your childhood experience or maybe from an anxiety you already have. Some people confuse acrophobia with vertigo but they are very different. Vertigo is a medical condition that causes a person to feel dizzy while the fear of heights may just have similar symptoms.

The imagined fear of falling from great heights could cause anxiety. A little anxiety isn't necessarily a bad thing as it causes a person to function effectively. Anyone standing at the edge of a high cliff would feel anxious and scared. So would I even though I have been flying for such a long time now. If you recognize this natural reaction, there is nothing to fear as your captain flying you have the same feeling too.

You can watch two You Tube videos below, one on acrophobia and the other one for your entertainment.

Acrophobia – Fear of Heights
Mr Bean on Plane, Rides Again!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Dragons of Thin Air
Amanda, a free eBook aimed at kids with fear of flying is available at http://www.dragonsofthinair.com

This book is good fun while at the same time covering a wide range of topics that are important to fearful flyers.

Enjoy!
Turb Coriolis , 06 Jan, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com