(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Fear of Flying > I am feeling awkward on long flight!
I am feeling awkward on long flight!
Flying - Fear of Flying
Sunday, 10 April 2011 04:16

Turkish Airlines Boeing 777 takes off from Narita Airport, Japan

Hi Captain,

Me and my hubby are planning an European vacation... so, we'll be flying Turkish Airlines from Singapore to Rome via Istanbul. The problem is that I just saw an article stating that Turkish Airlines have 14 crashes in record, whereby the most recent incident was in 2009!!!

We have always been awkward on flights (the last one being a 4.5 hours flight)... so, I simply can't put my thoughts to ease when I think about all the possibilities... 11 hours to Istanbul... as much as I look forward for the vacation...

Still very, very awkward

Please help!!!

Thanks a bunch...

Zoe

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777 from Changi to Rome

Hi Zoe,

I know why you feel awkward about flying – this is because of your hidden fear of air travel – please read “I am so scared to fly…” see here.

I repeat - everything we do in life involves some level of risks and that flying is just one of those small risks. I hope you will digest what is written in my answer to the above topic.

I quote an article from my friend in the USA, Robert J. Boser, editor of AirlineSafety.Com, who wrote,

"I guess the most important thing I can say is that news headlines have nothing to do with actual risk. If you judge your risk of injury or death by the latest headlines in the news media, you will always have much more fear than is justified by statistical reality.

The size and repetitions of such articles has no correlation to the actual risk of being involved in such accidents. The intense competition for market share in all forms of the media seems to dictate that certain types of stories receive more frequent front-page exposure. The general public, hearing such stories time and time again, begin to believe -- apparently without thoughtful analysis -- that media repetition correlates to actual risk. It doesn't.

MIT professor, Arnold Barnett, a statistical expert in the field of aviation safety, researched the New York Times front page stories, for the period of 1988 and 1989, and found:

"1.7 murder stories for every 1,000 homicides, 2.3 AIDS stories for every 1,000 AIDS deaths, .02 cancer stories for every 1,000 cancer deaths and 138.2 plane crash stories for every 1,000 airplane deaths." (Catherine Trevison, of The Oregonian, Feb. 6, 2000, edition)

Barnett, judges the actual risk of one person being involved in a fatal airline accident, to be once every 19,000 years, provided he flew on an airliner once each day of those 19,000 years. He bases that estimate on what actually happened in the domestic U.S., during the 1990s.

Trevison ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) also notes that:

"Measured in deaths per mile, American commercial airline flights are 22 times safer than car travel. More people die in three months of traffic accidents than in 40 years on commercial jets. More Americans die each year falling from ladders, drowning in bathtubs and freezing to death than by flying."

Thus, fear of flying is based on emotions, not rationality. "

If it makes you feel any less awkward, you have a choice of flying in a better airline from Singapore direct non-stop to Rome such as Singapore Airlines or perhaps Alitalia...

I wish you and hubby a happy flight to Rome alt.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com