What happens if I ge
I have seen a comment from a Flight attendant that

What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Female Pilots > Girl wants to be a pilot but Mum says no…
Girl wants to be a pilot but Mum says no…
Pilot Career - Female Pilots
Sunday, 09 December 2012 12:19

Female Pilot Profile - Judy Cameron

Hi Capt Lim,

I'm 20 years old, currently studying for my Diploma in Physiotherapy. It was my passion to become female pilot since I was a kid...

Actually, after I had graduated from High School, I was planning to take up a Pilot License Course but my Mum won't allow me (she thought that for a girl to become a pilot, it would be very risky).

My Dad supported me, so I applied for the course online. I got a call from Malaysia Flying Academy (MFA) for an interview. However, my Mum did not let me attend the interview. It really makes me sad.

Now I am in my senior year. Next year I'll be graduating. My parents have suggested for me to further my study for a Bachelor degree in Australia, Yea I agree but still it is my dream to become a pilot.

My Dad knows my predicament. He said that he would allow me to take up the Private Pilot License (PPL) course after I have finished my Diploma. He said that I am still young and would still have the opportunity to become a pilot in the future (after my Bachelor degree).

I have a few questions:-

1. Can I apply to become a pilot if I have a Diploma/Bachelor in physiotherapy for PPL?

2. What are the average age, height & weight for a female or male pilot??

3. My Dad suggests that I take my PPL at the Air Adventure Flying Club (AAFC) which is located at the Subang International Airport (WMSA). Compared to MFA & AAFC, which is the better choice??

I really hope you can help me, GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR FAMILY.

HAVE A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR (even though it is not yet 2013)

Yours sincerely,

Elaine Tan

Hi Elaine,

1. Yes, you can be a pilot. In fact the requirements for a CPL/IR (Commercial Pilot Licence/Instrument Rating) which is higher than the PPL course you intended to take is only a SPM with 5 credits inclusive of English, Mathematics and a Science subject or GCE “O” level or equivalent with passes in similar subjects.

Your age must not be less than 17 years old when commencing the said course and age not less than 18 years old upon the issuance of a Commercial Pilot Licence.

2. You can find the answers for age, height and many other details and explanation of becoming a pilot under the Pilot Career Category in my Website (centre left column of the Home page here). Nothing much is mentioned about weight - as long as you are fit and healthy and not obese, you should be okay.

3. If you intend to take up only a PPL (about 40 to 50 flying hours), then AAFC would be the place because MFA does not specifically conduct PPL course as this is integrated into the CPL course (about 200 flying hours). If your objective is to make flying as your career, then it is recommended that you go for the CPL/IR course which can be costly – up to RM230,000 to RM250,000!

But as your Dad has suggested, do a PPL first and then consider taking up serious commercial flying in the future. In that case, only 30 to 42 hours of your PPL would be credited to your full CPL/IR course. It all depends on how long your PPL has lapsed.

Having said that, be forewarned that you are not guaranteed of an airline job after graduating with a CPL/IR or frozen ATPL unless you are specifically sponsored by an airline!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Female Pilot - United 777 Crosswind Take Off from Amsterdam!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Follow your dreams!
Hi Elaine,

While I don't know the particulars of why your mom is so against you becoming a pilot, I do have one advice. Don't ever let anyone take your dreams away. Live big and take risks. This is the only way you will be happy and succeed at life. In my case, my father owns an advertising agency in Ecuador and it was his dream and not mine that someday I would step up as the new CEO when he retires. Well, I followed my dreams and I don't regret any minute of it. I am currently a Sr. Systems Engineer making a good salary and working with my passion - technology! I love getting up every morning to go to work and everyone notices how much energy I dedicate to my job. This would not have been possible had I become the next CEO of my dad's company working in an industry in which I have no interest in. Dream Big, Live Big, Keep Moving Forward!
Ricardo Cheing , 21 Dec, 2012
i wanna become a pilot
i'm a sri lankan girl and according to what i know there are no much female pilots in sri lanka.i'm doing my A/L in physical science stream and please tell what should i do to become a pilot after doing my A/L s?
senuri senanayake , 12 May, 2017

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com