(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flight Simulator > How to conduct an autoland on the Flight Simulator?
How to conduct an autoland on the Flight Simulator?
Pilot Career - Flight Simulator
Saturday, 30 June 2007 23:50
Qantas Boeing 747-400 Autoland

Hi Captain Lim,

Sorry to bother you (I don*t even know how you could answer all these emails, being a pilot!), but I am currently encountering problems on how to execute a successful ILS approach. I have entered the correct frequency and heading in preparation for the landing, so there is no fault there. However, the computer does not start the descent automatically, as it should (I think). The computer lines up the plane without any serious problems, but it does not follow the glideslope and descend. I am forced to manually set the altitude and the descent rate for the landing.

I have seen on your website about the term "autoland". Is the ILS approach supposed to be an autoland? I have also seen one of your replies for a similar question (by Alexander Gunther) that I am asking. You mentioned that the problem was that the plane did not "capture" the approach. What do you mean by that?

Could you please tell me what is the problem about the plane not descending automatically?

Thank you for your kind attention,

Sunny

Hi Sunny,

As you are fully aware, I just could not answer all the emails that I have received although I have being doing this quite regularly for the past 7 years. Yes, I do occasionally answer one or two in between my work now when I see the question is either new or requires an update. As you may have read in my introductory message, the title of my site was innocently coined without knowing the implication but now, I honestly could not cope with every aviation question that comes to my inbox.

Okay, to your repeated question about auto landing – in the real world, an “autoland” can only be executed by a pilot qualified to do so. So, if a pilot is not trained and certified, he must disengage the autopilot at 200 feet above ground level and perform the landing manually even though the plane is capable of doing so.

You cannot conduct an autoland on any ILS approach unless the airfield and aircraft equipment are certified capable of doing so. Of course, in the simulator, you can do whatever you want (including crashing the plane!) but not in a real plane. So, not any ILS can accept an auto-land.

If the simulator in your computer (MSFS2002) does not automatically capture the glide path even with the correct ILS frequency set, check whether you have armed the “APPR”. If yes, then there may be a glitch in the system. With the "APPR" armed and if the system is working normally, the autopilot would automatically capture the glidepath and descend by itself. If the autopilot is not used, then you have to fly the glidepath manually.

As I have mentioned before, I am not an expert on the MSFS and my system is not very stable either. Kindly review your Manual on how to fly an ILS again or visit my Forum on Flying the Simulator
. There is a posting there by someone who can help you better.

Happy simulator flying! :-)

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com