(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Interviewing Process > Tips for the interview with Gulf Air?
Tips for the interview with Gulf Air?
Pilot Career - Interviewing Process
Wednesday, 31 August 2005 21:30
I have just managed to squeeze some time to answer this latest Pilot Career question below:

Dear Captain Lim,

I'm a holder of CPL-IR and I've applied to join an airline named Gulf Air. I have passed the first stage and they've invited me to attend the 2nd stage which consists of three assessments:

1. An interview that will focus on the key competencies and your previous experience. In the interview we will ask you to think through real situations, and to provide practical examples. The interview will last for approximately an hour and 15 minutes.

2. You will be required to complete a planning exercise which is a multi- stage assessment. The exercise incorporates a written planning task, a brief oral presentation and a follow up interview by an assessor. You will be given 60 minutes to read through the information and complete two written tasks, and an additional of 15 minutes to present your findings.

3. You will also be required to join a group and discuss a scenario with other candidates. The exercise is designed to assess your behavior when interacting with others. You will be given 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes for the discussion.)

Can you give some tips to prepare myself for the assessment?

Abdulrazaq Yusuf

Hi Yusuf,

I am not very familiar with the assessment process on pilot selection with Gulf Air but I believe that they do have a certain trend, followed by most airlines. Go to my
Pilot Recruitment Links and look at some of the Tips there; especially for British Airways, Emirates and Cathay Pacific Airways.

For your first part on real situations and practical examples, you may want to discuss how a First Officer might react to certain captain's idiosyncrasies; for example, a captain who do not follow company procedures and makes errors whilst flying. Do you tell him about his mistakes? (Yes, you would!) See a previous FAQ
where I talked briefly about CRM (Cockpit Resources Management).

For tips on the planning exercise, look at the SIA assessment process which I have posted in my
Forum. It contains a lot of resources there.

The group exercise is to assess that you are a team player and not a selfish loner! Various scenarios can be given to your group and there are times when some of the exercises have no answers. Just be yourself, be supportive, be positive and practice good CRM skills.

Here are some sample exercises:

a. You and your crew are shipwrecked on an uninhibited island. List out the course of actions in terms of survival and being rescued finally. You are required to give the answers individually and then as a group.

b. All of you in the group would be given four or five cards with some information on them. You cannot show the cards to anyone or exchange them, but you may read each aloud. The story is about constructing a project and you must find out how long it would take to complete building it. To solve the problem, all must contribute from the information given. If one withholds the details, the final answer may be incorrect. There is a time limit.

c. You have crashed landed in a desert. Your group has recovered some items, such as torchlight, compass, maps, drinking water, knife, fishing hooks, etc. You and your group have to come out with a list of items in order of priority.

As I have just said, there may be no one right or wrong answers. The main aim of the exercise is to assess your behavior when you interact with others in the group. Things they are looking for, amongst others, are communication skills, sound decision making skills and an ability to motivate others. You must exhibit the ability to accurately assess the critical nature of your task, assess the competence of your group (crew) and still needs to show some flexibility in tackling your problem.

What I have given you are just a few sample exercises and they may change over time. Go for the interview with an open mind but read as much as you can from all the tips of every airline in my Recruitment Links.

Wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
question hints
Hello sir,
I have an exam on Friday relating to people who are to qualify for pilot training soon,so i really need your help on which kind of questions i may be asked.thanks
Ga , 31 Jul, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com