(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Interviewing Process > How do you answer this difficult question on hijacking in a pilot interview?
How do you answer this difficult question on hijacking in a pilot interview?
Pilot Career - Interviewing Process
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 20:32

Dear Captain Lim,

Well done on the website! What you have put in your website are fabulous and amazing. I have really learned a lot about the Boeing 777 from it. Actually, the main reason I send you this email is because I am attending an interview for the position of cadet pilot with SIA (Singapore Airlines) next week, Monday. I need some more advice from you.

I have searched through your website and you did put up a list of questions that would be asked during the interview. To tell you the truth, I have attended a cadet pilot interview at the beginning of the year but I did not make it to the second round. I guess I was not well prepared at that time.

There was one question that I really didn't know how to answer. The scenario was, "If you are the PIC (pilot-in-charge) and your airplane has been hijacked. What would you do if they demand that you open the cockpit door or else they would start killing the passengers one by one?"

Besides that, what else do I need to get prepared for? I have already read up on all the necessary things like, how an aircraft flies, the aircraft's parts and description, basic flying knowledge, SIA company information, fleet size and pilot's lifestyle. Do you think that I should go all the way to learn about the basic technical details about the Boeing 747 and Boeing 777, since most of SIA's fleets are from Boeing?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you very much!

Yoon Kong

Hi Yoon Kong,

Regarding the question on hijacking, if you have read about the rules Airlines abided by in the past, they have now been changed since Sept 11. Before this period, pilots were encouraged not to confront hijackers but made efforts to win their confidence and to get the airplane safely onto the ground. Today, pilots have been mentally reconditioned to respond to any hijackers' threat against crewmember or passengers. For instance, if a captain is being notified through an interphone that the hijackers are about to kill a flight attendant or passenger unless he opens the cockpit door, he has to make the most unpleasant decision of his life and refuse to accede to the command. "Go ahead, but they are not coming in!" This is how the mindset and attitude of the pilots in El Al Israeli Airlines are being trained to adopt to. It is also one of the main reasons why the Airline hasn't had a hijacking since 1968 in spite of being regarded as a high threat target.

If you have read most of the tips and guidelines on this site, it would greatly enhance your confidence in the interview.  SIA do not expect you to know in great details of the various airplane systems in the Boeing 777's or 747's. The most important thing is poise and confidence in your intelligent answers. Ariff's tips and guidelines during the interview in my site is helpful if you can prepare some good answers to them.

Best of luck to you!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
very useful for the management interview preparation. thq 4 sharing smilies/smiley.gif
flying_sierra , 04 Aug, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com