Latest Comment

Can you become an ai
Hi captain, I met with a road accident and got a s

Why do I experience
Having just returned from Newfoundland...I had two

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Medical > What are the dangers of flying after a collapsed lung?
What are the dangers of flying after a collapsed lung?
Flying - Medical
Tuesday, 31 October 2006 19:04

Hi Captain Lim,

Just so you know, I DID search high and low for your thoughts (or Dr. JB Lim's) on flying after a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), but alas, could find no mention of the possible dangers. While reading this you'll ask yourself why I didn't ask my pulomonologist, yet I did, and his response was "probably." Um, I'm not fond of that answer, so I*m pursuing it further.

I have been flying on planes since the age of 6 months, mother was a flight attendant, and I was a Corporate Travel Agent for 10 years, who has quite literally traveled around the world (but haven*t had reason to fly anywhere in the past 6 years), by no means have I been a fearful flyer, until now...

Problem is, I had a "primary spontaneous pneumo" a little over 3 weeks ago (coincidentally, I was due to fly from BWI (Baltimore-Washington) to Manchester, England 2 days BEFORE the lung collapsed, but cancelled my reservation 2 days before departing because I was so strangely agitated~ intuition?) The pnuemo was caused by the rupture of a "bleb", of which a CT scan confirmed and that I have them bilaterally, and some rather large (due to old scarring, I may have had a small pnuemo in the other lung as well, but likely ignored it as a muscle pull)

So anyway, I am holding a non-refundable ticket, good for a year. Problem is this, I have a 50% chance of having another pnuemo, and from what I understand, if this occurs on a plane (due to the 8000-8,500 ft pressure change) it could be, well, let's just say really bad... Emergency landing kinda bad, which over "the pond" I assume would be a tad difficult or hopefully having a Dr. on board who could put a chest tube in during flight.

I know for a pilot or crewmember, corrective surgery is done on the first pnuemo. But for those not in the industry, the Dr.'s wait until a lung collapses a 2nd time to proceed with the rather painful procedure. Thus, I'm stuck trying to figure out what I should do. Do I risk it and take my trip to England (if it collapses on the way I*ll end up in a U.K. hospital that won*t accept good old Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance~ and unable to fly home for 2 weeks AFTER the pneumo is resolved) or simply bag the idea for a couple years, write a letter to the airline with all the medical documentation attached and ask for either a refund or a voucher to be sent for the friend in the U.K., so she can fly here for a visit?

Sorry if I've blabbered on, but this is something that seems to be quite difficult to get a definitive suggestion on. I mean if it*s enough of a concern for a pilot or crew member to prompt immediate surgery, there has to be some risk for the rest of us not so frequent, high altitude, bleb carrying flyers, right?

Thank you for your thoughts, concerns or comments.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I am sorry I am unable to add much on an issue that I am not qualified on, but luckily, we have the expertise of Dr JB Lim who has kindly taken his time to give us a very detailed write up on flying after a collapsed lung.

As usual, I have asked him to give us a summary to the answer below...

Dr JB Lim's short answer:

Quote:
The risk of developing spontaneous pneumothrax for air passengers depends on his or her history of lung disease and similar respiratory problems. There were cases of pilots and deep sea divers developing this problem due air pressure changes into lung cavities or blebs (blisters) in weakened areas of the lungs. Air may flow from lungs into the thoracic cavity and vice versa when air pressure changes.

When blebs rupture, air enters from the lungs into the pleural space and thoracic cavity. If air was trapped in the pleural spaces due to previous history of pneumothorax, it will then expand against the lower pressure in the lungs when the cabin pressure is lowered to about ? that of the normal atmospheric pressure. This may cause the lungs to collapse at certain areas.

Medical scientists are unable to evaluate the risk with certainty because they have little data to work on due to limited studies on air passengers who faced this problem. Passengers who have history of spontaneous pneumothorax previously are advised to have their lung strength and functions tested by their own respiratory physician before they fly. Unquote:

We wish you all the best in your future air travel :-) .

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
English Healthcare
Hi,

Just thought it would be helpful for you to know that healthcare in England is free. You would not need to rely on Insurance. I am just recovering from a Hydrothorax and collapsed lung after surgery and was looking on here for advice on flying too. Good luck!

Angie.
Angie , 08 May, 2012
Missionary
smilies/smiley.gifsmilies/smiley.gifsmilies/smiley.gifsmilies/smiley.gifsmilies/smiley.gif I had a collasped lung and they did a very very painful procedure with talcome powder and distilled water. He said I could fly, because the lung would go no where because it was more or less glued to the wall. So with much prayer, and his release to fly, I am going to fly to Israel in Jan 2-14. He said it is good to wait at least a year to fly again after procedure. I will live there for at least a year. so, God bless
In Jesus, Gerry Majorsmilies/smiley.gifsmilies/smiley.gif
Gerry Major , 03 Apr, 2013
I also had talc pleuradesis done & mine happened to collapse yet agen during pregnancy & had to had the same procedure performed agen...
Michelle , 31 Mar, 2014
I had a collapsed lung 15/01/2014 and Im flying from Ireland to hawaii. there is the connecting flight to consider and I am panicking that everthing will go as smooth as it can. Has anyone taken a connecting flight after their collapsed lung??
louise , 15 Jan, 2015
Breathless in Ohio
I have lung blebs as well. It have decided not to fly. As someone said above there is little research on this subject due to lack of people who are willing to risk another pneumothorax. I had a VAT pleurodesis 8 weeks ago on my left lung but have the sensation of a pneomothorax.CT scan shows new blebs leaking air. I am fearful my right lung may collapse and I just don't want to go through that experience again. I feel it is a real risk and I plan on exercising real caution.
Kathy Brinkman , 23 Aug, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com