(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Age > Can I still be an airline pilot at 45 years?
Can I still be an airline pilot at 45 years?
Pilot Career - Age
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 20:12

Dear Capt Lim,

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to become a pilot. I am now 45. I currently hold an Australian unrestricted private license with Controlled Airspace (Radar), NVMC endorsement.

Of course my ultimate goal would be to fly for an airline. However, any flying role would be a blessing. Training costs are prohibitive for most of us. I think (pretty sure) that my age would be greatly against me, but if anyone would pay me to fly anything, I would be happy.

Realistically, is my age going to strongly hamper my chances of gaining employment if I could gain the higher levels of License? I feel as if I have gotten a late start when compared to other applicants.

Flying is the only thing I have ever really wanted to do and I am afraid that I have missed the final boarding call. I have made many fine friends over the years who are Airline Pilots and know of the sacrifices made by them and family to get there.

I also considered trying to become a Stewart for a Airline. Looking at their requirements, swimming, other languages, would make it hard also. But it comes back to, how much you want to get to where want to go!? Anyway, any ideas or help is most welcomed .

Thank you very much for your web site, your time, and your desire to help others through your knowledge and experience.

Regards,

Rick.

Hi Rick,

As regards to your desire to be an airline pilot, if I may use your words, it is a bit too late for the boarding call, but there is a still some hope for you in a few low cost carriers if you have the proper training and have at least a CPL and Instrument rating. At 45 years, (you may be more respected due to your age), why not do some instructional flying to gain your experience? Since you have a PPL, you can be an Assistant Flying Instructor in a Flying Club to gain further flying hours and finally, to achieving your dream. For details, you should check with the Australian aviation authority.

Best of luck to you in your future aviation career!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (13)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
age limit , Low-rated comment [Show]
Pilot
Get to know the guy who hires the pilots, and your odds will greatly improve, especially at a later age in life. Buy him a year's supply of Cuban cigars and a pass to the country club, and you'll be flying 777's across the pond in no time. Of course you'll still have to pass the check rides. If you don't believe me, just look at our current President. How do you think he got to be President?
Sorry if I sound like a smart*ss, but I speak real world, not fantasy. All the best to you in your endeavor.
Pete , 17 Jul, 2010
age factor
Hi Rick

Did u actually embark on ur dream?smilies/smiley.gif
ajay , 09 Jan, 2011
want to be
I am Currently going to collage for a bachelor degree in aviation, and will get my full pilots license. I've just started however, an will not graduate til I’m 30. To late? I have been driving a truck, but the DREAM has always been to fly. What do you think?
want to be , 08 Jan, 2012
medical tech
Whatever your dream is,do not stop pampering it.Anyone can do it my friend.Did you hear the saying" the sky is the limit?"If you can afford it,go for it.only you determine what and and what cannot be done.It might be tough,but if your brain still works,do not hesitate.life it's only once and many times here on the planet earth,it's not how much you know but how many right friends,and how much more money and influence you have.Simple,just like that.Good luck
gerardo restrepo , 11 Mar, 2013
question
Hello there, hope you are doing well
I'm 30 years old actually I would like to start a pilot
training in johannesburg. ..does it worth the pain? ???
smilies/wink.gif
ibrahim , 29 May, 2015
go for it
Practical answer: British Airways not long ago opened a pilot cadet recruitment & training scheme that accepted applicants up to 45 years old.
It might be too late for a brilliant career, but not for just flying.
Especially if you have nothing to lose, that is if you are not already flying, go for it and follow your dream.
I am a flight attendant and had my lifestyle to give up which I was reluctant to.
Good luck.
Lisa , 02 Sep, 2015
I would like to know if i can still be able to become a pilot. IIm 36 years old.
salvi , 23 Oct, 2015
How long does it take to become a pilot
salvi , 23 Oct, 2015
pilot age
IM with you I was in my early 30/s taking truck driving lessons I always wanted to be a pilot I took lessons for about 20 hrs in phila northeast lost my job and could not afford the 90.00hr rate was getting ready to solo ironically the driving school was a couple hundred of yards to the left of PHL I did become a driver with flying colors don't know how because everytime a plan would take off or land II would say to myself that should be me I still have severe regrets I am now pushing 49 so my hopea and dreams are gone.thanks for your service in the air.Godspeed.gOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING DONT QUIT LIKE I DID.
mark gindhart , 14 Dec, 2015
Maritime Chief Engineer and PPL(A) holder, At present student at ATPL, 45 years old
Gentlemen , anything is possible if you really want! I have just started my ATPL (bristol aviation )
at 45 and I will make it great to the top until 65 when my Class 1 medical will be revoked. Nobody can steal my dreamsmilies/smiley.gif of Flying a jet either with clients or cargo!
Go ahead Rick and fight for it and let's keep in touch! julian.mareng@gmail.com
Iulian , 16 Dec, 2015
Maritime Chief Engineer and PPL(A) holder, At present student at ATPL, 45 years old
Gentlemen , anything is possible if you really want! I have just started my ATPL (bristol aviation )
at 45 and I will make it great to the top until 65 when my Class 1 medical will be revoked. Nobody can steal my dreamsmilies/smiley.gif of Flying a jet either with clients or cargo!
Go ahead Rick and fight for it and let's keep in touch! julian.mareng@gmail.com
Iulian , 16 Dec, 2015
student pilot
hi all, am 36 just joined the flight school. My journey towards the jet cockpit just commenced
Antony , 01 Apr, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com