(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Age > Am I too old to become an airline pilot?
Am I too old to become an airline pilot?
Pilot Career - Age
Monday, 16 January 2006 02:37
Hi Captain Lim!

I mean - what can I say! What a phenomenal website!!

So, my question is this: I am about to embark on a journey to become an ATP. However, I am about to turn 29. Am I being unrealistic, or will hard work, professionalism, sacrifice and confidence still be enough for me to achieve my dream? Am I considered too old to start this journey?

I figure that with my degree in management and a few years of experience as a leader and a manager, plus some more maturity, I should still be marketable. I plan to have all my ratings and licenses before I turn 31. So with a little luck, I hope to be able to start applying to airlines by the time I*m 33-35.

Is this too old? Will the airlines consider my age to be an age in which I've matured, plus, take my degree and work experience in leadership and management as strengths?

Thanks for your help!

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I am not sure where you come from and so I can only give you some very general advice on the airlines career opportunities in this website.

The demand for airline pilots is a fairly fickle thing - it depends on which part of the world you are residing now. In the Asian regions, particularly in East, South East and South Asia, and in the Middle East (especially in the UAE), the job prospects are good. Elsewhere, the demands may be low and slow.

In the USA (probably that where you are come from), many airline pilots have been furloughed (leave of absence) from the airlines since Sep 11. However, the General Aviation job prospects in that region are faring better.

Even in regions where flying opportunities are good, job offers are given to the locals first before outsiders are considered. In your case and at your age, you must have at least the required licenses - ATP/ME/IR to be marketable.

In the USA, airlines would want you to have at least 2000 flying hours. Outside, they would consider you with the basic licenses, recognizable in their regions - usually the CAA/JAR ATPL.

At 35, with a full rating and sufficient flying experience, it is not too old to apply for the airlines in the US. Outside, the competition would be quite tough, as you would be competing with many younger pilot aspirants. Nevertheless, if you do not mind (with a possibility of failing to get into the airlines) to fly for General Aviation or any low cost carriers, then go ahead and pursue your dream.

Any academic qualifications above the minimum required are an advantage. Maturity, leadership and management qualities are essential to become an airline pilot. But that aren't enough. Many people aspiring to be pilots overlook attitude as a very important attribute that the airlines will examine into when recruiting one.

Good luck to your future career!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
am I too old , Low-rated comment [Show]
i want to be pilot. , Low-rated comment [Show]
I want to ne a pilot too. , Low-rated comment [Show]
Am I Too Old Become Pilot
I am almost 81 and want to be a pilot and further to that I and litter bit blind and totally deaf in both ears. Can I still become an pilot ?smilies/cry.gif
Abdul Ahmat , 18 Dec, 2011
Am I Too Old become Pilot at Age 91
I'm 91 years old and want to be a pilot.

Although, I am Totally blind and deaf in both ears, will this be an issue? smilies/tongue.gif
Abdul Ahmat , 18 Dec, 2011
I want to be a pilot
Hi captain Lim,I am currently 14 and I'm aspiring to be a Singapore airlines pilot.can you give tips on what kind of path I can take to become one?my studies are not exceptionally good but just ok...
Vinod , 21 Dec, 2011
No qualifications and dream to be an Airline Pilot.
Hi,

Is CPL dedicated to a rich person who can support his child for studies. Some do qualified for the license but financially not stable to pay for the course. As for me i got nothing no qualification and come from a low wage income family but it is my dream to be am Airline pilot. Everyday without fail i will fly with my Flight Simulator X and so sadly that i dont have a chance to become one. I am really honored for those already a qualified pilot and i wish you the best of luck. Its my ambition since i was 5 years old. i hope before i die maybe i can sit on a real cockpit and see the pilot fly.
Ruzaidy , 01 Jan, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com