(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > Is it true that turbulence over the North Atlantic is worse in winter?
Is it true that turbulence over the North Atlantic is worse in winter?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Wednesday, 02 November 2011 11:16

Somewhere over the Atlantic

Hi Captain Lim,

I read your website often. Thank you for all the wonderful information!

I hope you can help me with my questions.

My 80-year old mother and I are flying to Munich from Boston in mid-December for a Christmas river cruise. We recently heard that turbulence over the North Atlantic is bad in winter due to increased strength of the jet stream. Also, this year is a La Nina year which makes the jet stream even stronger.

We are both very fearful flyers and my mother is now thinking we should cancel our trip because she is very afraid of encountering long periods of strong turbulence (the kind where flight attendants have to be seated)

Is it true turbulence over the North Atlantic is worse in winter and if so, is it bad every day/routinely?

Is it worse eastbound or west or both?

Could we be in strong turbulence for hours at a time with no relief?

We both know intellectually that even in turbulence we are safe however we are so uncomfortable. I am afraid we will go crazy if stuck for hours in turbulence.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Yes, turbulence in the winter across the North Atlantic is generally more pronounced due to the stronger winds. But that does not mean that the weather would be turbulent every day for there are spells of smooth weather as well.

When there is turbulence, it does not matter if you are travelling east or westbound. What the controlling authority does is that the routes, known as the North Atlantic Track (NAT) are planned such that it takes advantage of the good tail wind and avoid the weather.

The tracks reverse direction twice daily. In the daylight, all traffic on the tracks operates in a westbound flow. At night, the tracks flow eastbound towards Europe.

This is done to accommodate airline schedules, with departures from North America to Europe scheduled for departure in the evening thereby allowing passengers to arrive at their destination in the morning.

Westbound departures leave Europe mid-day and arrive in North America in the late afternoon. The tracks are updated daily and their position may alter on a variety of variable factors, but mainly due to weather systems. So you would be flying on the NAT to Munich from Boston.

As I have mentioned before, turbulence is not be feared as it is an issue of discomfort rather than one of safety as long as your safety belts are securely fastened.

If it makes you and your mother feel any better, sitting position helps a bit. Get a seat nearer to the wings (which is near to the center of gravity) as it may be less bumpy as this is where the airplane will pivot on. The farther you are from the center of gravity, the more motion you're going to feel. Since the center of gravity is over the wings, you're going to feel less motion.

If you decide to travel, I wish you all a smooth flight to Munich.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Airport Comedy

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Enjoying a holiday experience in North Atlantic destinations can be quite exhilarating.
forevergrandvacations.com
Forever Grand Vacations , 28 Mar, 2012
With so many airline incidents air passengers are becoming quiet worried... but at time as they have to overcome it due to many reasons.

Bransons Nantucket , 02 May, 2012
Enjoying adventurous excursions in these exciting holiday destinations can really turn out quiet enthralling.
Bransons Nantucket , 02 May, 2012
Atlantic / Florida Orlando
smilies/smiley.gif me and my mum and dad fly to Florida every 2 year and we fly over the Atlantic I just love planes
Caitlin , 20 Aug, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com