(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > Is there any reason why there were lack of communication from the cockpit?
Is there any reason why there were lack of communication from the cockpit?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Tuesday, 11 December 2007 21:12

Hi Capt Lim,

I have traveled over half the world by commercial airliner in the last 20 years flying frequently at times and have never experienced a turbulent landing as I did in Salt Lake City last month (Boeing 767 300). My experience was much the same as described in many of the "amusement park ride" postings on your web site - women crying out and men making spontaneous remarks with colorful language. I had my eyes closed and was wondering if I
would walk on land again.

After reading your FAQ concerning turbulence, I now believe the experience was not as dangerous as I thought at the time, which brings me to the point I want to make. At no time during our descent or during the turbulence or after landing did the Captain or First Officer come on and address the passengers concerning the turbulence. Perhaps there was no time or perhaps they were not able to, due to restrictions on talking (I have heard that crews must focus on flying when below 10,000 feet).

On recollection, the most enjoyable flights (some with good amount of turbulence, aborted landings, etc) I have been on, were times when the pilots communicated with the passengers throughout the flight. That communication ranges from points of interest during the flights, noise abatement takeoffs to warnings about "choppy or rough air". In my opinion, there is nothing more reassuring to the passengers than a calm voice from the flight deck periodically describing these type of conditions. In the last several years, it seems the majority of pilots only address the passengers once and that is right after takeoff.

Any reason for the lack of communication?

Thanks again for providing a great information-related website!

David Jones

Hi David,

I know how passengers feel when they are kept in the dark. I really empathize with the anxiety shown by all on board a flight where there is lack of communication because I have been a passenger myself too. Most pilots realize the importance of keeping the customers informed but more often than not, when things happen, the pilot's priority is safety and he is usually distracted to handle the more important matters first. Only when he remembers would he come back to say something. This is how a particular Airline excels in customers' relations than another one. Many reputed Airlines put a lot of emphasis on this area, but just like many things in life, you may be on a flight where things just don't measure up to the passenger's needs.

This reminds me of a flight I did a fortnight ago when I took off from Newark, New York and flew across the Atlantic Ocean. When I leveled off at 37,000 feet, I encountered a layer of fairly strong clear air turbulence. The surrounding air was very clear and there was no reason, to an unseasoned traveler, to feel why the air became so turbulent at that point. It took me about 5 minutes after we were clear of the patch of bumpy air before I started to explain to the them on how the 'roller coaster ride' came about and what caused it. I hope they appreciated my explanation.

It is not true that crew must focus solely on flying below 10,000 feet. Yes, more attention must be paid below this level but if an important announcement needs to be made and if it could be done, then either the Captain or the First Officer could do so.

Wish you a pleasant flight on your next trip where your Captain would keep the passengers more informed!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com