(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > Is there any danger of being locked in the lavatory during turbulence?
Is there any danger of being locked in the lavatory during turbulence?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Wednesday, 30 November 2005 22:56

Hi Captain Lim,

Many, many thanks for your web page. By responding so diligently to these questions, you have helped to dispel much fear and anxiety associated with flying. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any danger to being locked in the lavatory during a turbulence encounter? This happened to me once during moderate turbulence and I was wondering what would happen in more dire circumstances. I*d presume that the lavatory was designed in such a way as to minimize the risk of injury during abrupt plane movements, though I*m curious for your opinion.

2. In thunderstorm activity, usually how long do updrafts and downdrafts last? I was once caught in severe turbulence (large changes in altitude, attitude, and roll) and I heard the captain revving the engines (perhaps to avoid flameout from the water ingestion/hail). I'm trying to understand, after the fact of course, whether this was updraft or downdraft, which seem to be a rather serious weather phenomenon.

Can updrafts literally lift a plane up 1000 feet in a matter of seconds?

3. I have also found this
web page - that has turbulence forecasts. Are the Pilot Reports (PIREPS) a good indicator of whether or not I would experience turbulence on a route on a given day?

P.S. Because of all the reading I*ve done on the matter (and your website), I have a new and very deep respect for the pilot profession!

Peter.

Hi Peter,

1. Yes, the lavatory is designed with handles for the passenger to grip onto in the event of unforeseen turbulence. If caught in this predicament, hold on to the handles till the bumpiness subsides then return to your seat and secure yourself with the seat belt immediately. You don*t have to fear that you would be locked in the lavatory during the turbulence because there is a facility for the flight attendants to open the door from outside anytime. Of course, you can also seek their assistance from inside the toilet as there is an attendant call button there.

2. Though updrafts or downdrafts can be serious in the most extreme cases, it is unlikely for planes to deliberately fly into the core of thunderstorms. Why? Severe thunderstorms are shown very clearly on the radar screen as red (danger); no sane pilot would consciously penetrate them! What usually happens is that, pilot would avoid these turbulent clouds by circumventing them. In doing so, they may be caught in between two clouds that would jostle the passengers quite a bit. How long would the updrafts and downdrafts last is difficult to estimate because it would depend on the size of the turbulent clouds. The pilot would make all possible effort to avoid this condition because it would be just as uncomfortable to him too!

3. PIREPS (Pilot Reports) are actual reports from the pilots. So they are accurate for a particular time. Yes, there are quite a number of websites that give forecast of turbulence. This
site is from one of my visitor and another one here from NOAA. They give forecast and are usually reasonably accurate. Remember, the severity of turbulence varies with altitude but you are unlikely to encounter any updrafts that are any where near "1000 of feet in a matter of seconds"!

Wish you a safe and smooth flight in your next journey.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
HI, WOuld you kindly satisfy my curiosity/concern Re: being locked in an airplane toilet---if there is a call button in there and its usually not a problem, then how come that pilot recently panicked when he got locked in and had to get the aid of a passenger--causing that terrorism scare? That was a weird story. COuld you please comment on this? Thanks much, Kate
Kate , 17 Mar, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com