here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > What I fear about flying is the STOMACH SINKING FEELING…
What I fear about flying is the STOMACH SINKING FEELING…
Weather - Air Turbulence
Thursday, 25 December 2008 03:52

Dear Captain Lim,

I have never had a problem with air travel until this one where I was on a very turbulent flight from Singapore to Japan. As if that wasn't bad enough, the return flight back to Singapore was just as bad! The subsequent time I travelled was from Singapore to Hong Kong and the turbulence was the worst I have ever experienced. It was bumpy almost throughout!
 These bad experiences have caused me to fear air travel, I’m anxious about every flight I take. My family goes on holidays quite often and I’m nervous on every flight!

What I fear is not so much the anxiety of  whether the plane will crash during turbulence (because I know it is very rare that planes crash due to severe turbulence), but what I fear is the STOMACH SINKING FEELING which I absolutely hate!!!!! 

I get this feeling during take off as well. It makes me so nervous that I start gripping onto the arm rests. I always wonder why I seem like the only one affected by the turbulence and everyone else on the plane is nonchalant about it.  

Is there any way I can help conquer my fear? Do relaxants and muscle exercises really help? And is there any way I can check way before the flight to ensure I’m about to get on a very smooth flight so I don't have to be anxious?

Even though I still do fear flying, visiting your website a few months ago to read up on turbulence really did help me. I didn't feel as much anxiety as I normally would in my most recent flight to Xiamen, China. 

Thanks to you! I'm sure you hear this often enough, but still I would like to thank you for all the effort you put into helping fearful flyers like me to face our biggest fear!  Your answers really do make us feel more secure and enlightened. I would really appreciate it if you could answer my three burning questions in the previous paragraph. I'll be flying off to Taiwan tomorrow morning.  

Since it's winter now, I’m expecting turbulence. Getting nervous again! Cross my fingers it'll be a pleasant flight.

Best Regards,

Jean from Singapore

Hi Jean, 

If you have gone through all the answers in “Air Turbulence”, all your burning questions have been answered before. However, I would just like to elaborate a little as regards to the “stomach sinking feeling” that you fear during the turbulent flight.

When you have a fear of flying, every little thing is magnified. This is not to say that only you feel that anxiety of the plane’s bumping along in turbulence. I am equally concerned about turbulence and do get that kind of “stomach sinking feeling” sometimes, but I am used to it now.  

Some people take turbulence better than others. Some even pay money to get that kind of thrills – the roller coaster rides! Not for me! I don’t like roller coaster rides as they make me sick! It gives me nausea. Nausea is the feeling which usually comes before vomiting and is often described as "feeling queasy." To some, the sensation of nausea may be accompanied by a sinking feeling in the stomach and a feeling of dizziness. Nausea may also be part of motion sickness.  

Motion sickness is often caused by the abrupt jostling of the aircraft due to turbulence. The repeated motion and continued stimulation of the inner ear disturb your sense of balance and equilibrium. Many fearful flyers may have witnessed or experienced air sickness themselves but were helpless during this time. The embarrassment of “throwing out” may aggravate the fear. 

The following few tips can help to minimize the severity or prevent air sickness. Amongst the many, try to look outside the aircraft and hold your head still as your eyes send the message to your brain on the direction of the motion. Do not try to read or look at near object in the aircraft. Take deep concentrated breathings, open air vents, loosen clothing and relax. Anxiety and rapid or abrupt movements will exacerbate your condition.  Choose a seat at the over-wing area or middle of the aircraft where it has smaller angle of motion. The wider angle of motion is at the rear of the aircraft.  

There are also many preventive drugs available at the counter or by prescription from your personal doctor. Remember, some of these drugs may also cause you drowsiness too. 

So, if I can experience the same feeling in the cockpit as you do at the back, you need not have to fear. As I have advised some in a magazine, if nothing works, just pretend that you are on a roller coaster ride when you next get caught in a turbulent ride!Laughing

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (39)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Re: Aircraft matters
Very interesting, I actually did not know that reading contributes to our queezy feelings. I also experince these same kind of problems, and whenever I look around, I see others handling it better than I do. And, it is kind of weird because I am quite physically healthy, doing lots of sports activities all the time. The stomach sinking thing, to me, is described in a way where you feel high pressure being exerted to your stomach, making you feel edgy and uncomfortable the whole time. Maybe after a few rides, you will be able to get use to it.
Jeremy , 03 Feb, 2009
stomach sinking feeling , Low-rated comment [Show]
Loss of Balance
I have been back from my trip for 4 days now and my balance has not returned to normal. I used to think it was on trips when we were on cruise ships and that it was due to having sea legs, but I'm starting to think flying throws my equilibrium way off for days!
Karen , 16 Mar, 2009
sinking feeling , Low-rated comment [Show]
To Jamie
Hey Jamie! I totally understand how you feel. Sucks to fly huh? smilies/sad.gif I'm so afraid of the up and down movement of the plane. And I agree with you, it's so hard to "cure" this fear! Well I don't know if this helps but i've been wanting to try out this website which helps fearful flyers conquer their fear of flights. You may wanna try it too, it sounds really promising!

http://www.toptips101.com/anxiety/fear-of-flying.htm?gclid=CMytta_g7JkCFcQtpAodZ1GRQw

It's called the GoGetterJetSetter
Jean , 13 Apr, 2009
Turbulence in the air
Hi, can anyone advise if I will experience severe turbulence in the plane from S'pore to Hongkong during the period of End Jul. Am taking a trip there, but have a phobia !!!!
Ginger , 26 May, 2009
No need to worry :)
I once had the chance to visit a pilot training center, and i was more than thrilled to open the subject with a senior captain at the center, who clamed my fears by stating the fact that Aircraft wings undergo severe bending/fracture tests in which they are subjected to severe forces inorder to verify their abilities to withhold. So whenever you are on a flight experiencing severe turbulence,no matter how afraid u are, be assured that the wings can withhold. And if it manages to create lift for the tremendous aircraft weight, than it's fit to deal with such minor ordeals smilies/smiley.gif
Hope that helps.
Ahmed , 31 Oct, 2009
Fear of flight
Hi,

I have serious fear of the up down feeling when i am in the flight. It affected me so much that whenever i see a plane or the thought of the plane makes me feel breathless, hasten heartbeat, feeling nauseating and outbreak of cold sweat. I am really very reluctant to fly. However, next month, I need to travel to US for urgent matters. The flight will take about 20 hours. I really don't know how to survive the anxiety during the 20 hours. Is there anyway to get rid of the fear?
adel , 27 Nov, 2009
Take offs, Turbulence and Nausea
This is a very helpful site. Thanks for setting it up.

When the plane is taxiing to the runway it always reminds me of an old bus lumbering over a rough concrete road which is sort of comforting. I would say that in my experience most light to moderate turbulence in the air is generally the same as but often less than the movement and shaking we experience in that drive around the airport. On the question of take offs and landings, sorry folks but I do very much like them and find them very exciting. I didnt used to. Provided the plane moves and climbs consistently its motion feels quite natural. If you dont like them try taking daylight flights and get a window seat just behind the wing, where you can see the ground and this will help you orient your sense of up and down and tilt side and back/front. You can also see the flaps moving up and down in response to wind and air flow and it will help you see how the plane is working to smooth out the lumps and bumps. Dont read during take off but try and look out of the window. You can still see out from aisle seats too. Also get yourself some cheap foam earplugs to reduce the din of the engines and the screaming children during the flight ! You can replace them with music from the headset when you are properly on the way.

Couple of other points. After the initial climb the plane generally goes up through two layers of cloud, one at about 3000 to 5000ft and again at about 10000 ft and at each you might get a few bumps but not much. If the flight does get bumpier once up at 30000 odd try watching the film with the spaceships, car chase, etc with some motion in it and it will seem as though the motion is coming from that rather than where you are sitting in a bumpy plane and actually add to the film. Dont go for the static period drama ! If it gets bumpier and you feel nervous then take slow deep breathes and count between each 1000, breath in breath out, 2000 breath in breath out 3000 etc etc. one breath in/out about every 10 secs nice and slow. When you get to 99000 you can start again. Also check your pulse finger up under the chin inot your neck and you will see when it goes up when you are worried and down as things ease with your breathing. It works and helps to distract you too! If you wonder how much up and down the plane is doing in turbulance then check the height information on the seat backs display which circulates every minute or so and note down the actual flight height each time. I expect you will find the plane hardly moves up and down at all on a bump, less than you might think, a few metres at most.

Humans are primitive creatures. When the eye and inner ear seem not to match up in what they sense of the outside world this can be very like the effect on one, if poisoned. The stomach is assuming you have been poisoned and so then attempts to empty the poison - hence air sickness. Root ginger is good for nausea as it has a chemical in it which helps to stop the internal linkage between the inner ear with what you are seeing with your eyes, and so help to stop that automatic emetic effect. There are over the counter drugs which do something similar.

Any way I hope these things help, as they have me.
Neil , 24 Dec, 2009
flying is not a natural thing
truthis...flying is not a natural thing....we are not birds! so if you have to fly..you'll have to face the reality of a flight..turbulance etc...I wish the US build a international highway connecting US to Brazil and Europe....I would drive...happily smilies/smiley.gif
ron , 01 Mar, 2010
Sinking Feeling In my stomach
I have the sinking feeling in my stomach when I take off and are going in for the landing. That feeling makes me feel like the plane is going down i hold on to the armrests for dear life and i squeeze my eyes shut until we've landing or until its over. I'v only be on a plane 2 times and we sat in the back. Would that be a factor? And how can i help this to stop?
Sinking Feeling , 22 Aug, 2011
IT'S NOT A FEAR - IT'S REAL!
It's reassuring to learn so many people suffer the "sudden sinking/sudden rising" discomfort, and then fear it happening. This is TOTALLY different from general fear of flying, and no amount of explanation or safety reassurance helps. I know roller coasters are safe, but would never go on one because the
sudden drops make me feel absolutely dreadful. Not just nauseous, but as if my world has gone mad. It's not a fear, it's a real feeling. But fear of it happening keeps me from flying.
Jon , 20 Jan, 2012
MORE
Reference the nasty falling feeling, it is clearly worse for some than others as with so many things. I suspect the only solution for sufferers is if some drug was available that effectively reduced the balance (or whatever) sensitivity so that the feeling was more tolerable. However, with all that this implies for the body, I can't see such a thing ever becoming available. So I guess we remain grounded.
Jon , 20 Jan, 2012
I too hate the sinking feeling, I was in a plane that hit clear air turbulence and have feared a repeat ever since! I don't get motion sickness & the sinking feeling doesn't make me feel sick, I just hate the feeling in my stomach. I hate rollercoasters for thi reason too. Perhaps it's an out of control thing, I don't know! In any case I get insanely nervous & spend the whole flight gripped to my seat.

I went to my doctor before my last flight as I was so nervous and he prescribed me some Lorazepam tablets, a very small dose of about 1mg but they made such a difference! They just relax you and take away your nerves. I would urge anyone in my situation to do the same, please don't suffer unnecessarily.
Fearful , 10 Feb, 2012
Anxiety
I get a lot of anxiety before flights and especially during the take off. My stomach drops and i feel sick and nervous. What are some medicines i can take so i don't suffer this?
Emily , 18 Feb, 2012
sinking feeling
I have always hated that sinking feeling as well and it makes me really scared. I've asked around, some of my friends have that feeling as well but they think that it is funsmilies/cry.gif

i felt better when i slouched because it sort of prevents me from experiencing that sinking feeling. you can try it!
Jasmine , 30 Mar, 2012
Stomach sinking
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but when you feel that drop, use an old pilot trick and tighten or clench your abs!! Tightening the stomach muscles reduces the dropping feeling and the more developed your "abs" region the less you feel!!
Freq flyer , 04 Jun, 2012
Sinking Feeling
I hate the sinking feeling however love flying and am training to become a pilot. In honesty the sinking feeling is blood rushing to your head or equally depending if its plus or negative G blood rushing to your feet. Because if you think of it a human is just a vessel of liquid and that liquid moves more freely then any solid parts of our body. I will tell you what helps as I use the trick all the time when flying and that is the same trick fighter pilots use. To tense up your stomach and legs to thwart the rush of blood around your body. This dropping sinking feeling will almost disappear I promise. Hope this helps!
Hannah , 18 Jun, 2012
My Tip
I learn't on a flight as a 13 year old (15 years ago) that if I tilt my head all the way back during flight, this horrible dropping/rising feeling is very much reduced.

I get a window seat, place a pillow between the seat and the side of the plane and rest my head there looking straight up at the ceiling.

It work's especially well for takeoffs and landings.

If I could I'd lay down for the whole flight completely flat smilies/smiley.gif

Seems to be related to perception of movement. With my head tilted back, the movement becomes forward and backwards, rather than up and down.
Peter , 01 Jul, 2012
Mr
I am not afraid of flying. I understand it is safe. I understand about the noise, etc. What I hate that completely puts me off flying is that sinking feeling in my stomach. It makes me want to curl up into a ball and scream, lol. I don't even like going over a hump back bridge too quickly either. I hate roller coasters because of it. So what causes the sinking feeling in the stomach?
Jason , 13 Jul, 2012
Agree - Fear isn't the problem!
Jason's post, along with the others, is so important. I too, along with thousands of others, get labelled "A fearful flyer" when it's nothing to do with fear of flying itself. It is intense discomfort when the plane drops (or rises) suddenly. I wish more effort in general could be ascribed to solving - or lessening - this feeling for those affected; I believe there are many more of us than currently acknowledged, and we are all lumped under the heading of "frightened of flying". We're not! But our sensitivity grounds us, which is hugely limiting to life's opportunities. All we need, I believe, is something which temporarily lessens our sensitivity to motion, or at least stops the brain reacting quite so violently. Is this really beyond the help of medicine? Surely not.
Jon UK , 14 Jul, 2012
Sinking
The feeling of "sinking" or being in a car going down a steep hill or on a roller coaster as accurately described by most is totally natural and is not really controllable. As the aircraft or vehicle your riding in gains or decreases altitude quickly you will feel it ITS PERFECTLY normal. In fact there's a medical study that proves what happens. Primarily what is going on is at high rates of speed or drop the human brain releases special endorphin's to help over come the stress and pain that can be caused in the body. The best thing to do is try different ways to relax during your flight chew gum, clench your fists, imagine yourself being on the beach or or somewhere you enjoy. I've also seen some sit a certain way during takeoffs. Try sitting foward more instead of sitting back all the way in the seat. Some pilots do this as well during steep take offs. Good luck happy flying!! smilies/kiss.gif
Tomthepilot , 08 Sep, 2012
Scary Ups and Downs
I also have a fear of those sinking feeling when the plane goes up and down during turbulence and like some other people who have commented, it doesn't make me feel sick but just plain scared. Everyone says it is fun but I disagree. I might really try some calming medicine this time for my plane ride.
Scared , 17 Sep, 2012
Hate the sensations!
I hate the head rush and sinking feeling in my head when flying. The floaty feeling is just so unformtable and makes me panic and feel disoriented. When the plane turns I feel terrible too ! Has anyone found anything that helps at all? Medication?
Dizzy , 01 Nov, 2012
Hey everyone.
I am a teenager from Australia and I have a huge fear of flying- turbulance Iis my trigger. I see a psychologist for my fear but I honestly can't tell how I am going to go without actually being in a flight. I use breathing strategies and do visualisations often of what it would be like to be on a bumpy flight. I never used to hate flying- it was last year when I travelled 26 hours to Europe with my family. On the way home, we had non stop turbulance for 13 hours. I thought I was going to die. I really want to conquer my fear- I adore travelling. I'm off to Europe again with my school next year and then to Cambodia with a volunteering company early the year after.

Anyone, please tell me how I can conquer my fear. I don't have to love flying, I just want to be able to tolerate it. Despite my anxiety I still get on the plane and go to wherever I have to go but I hate it and I had panic attacks In the days leading up to the flight. Anyone similar to me? How did you cope? How do you cope? It's turbulance is my total main fear. I hate storms even on the ground too!

Thank you all

K from Australiasmilies/smiley.gif
K , 09 Dec, 2012
Hate turbulence!
Hi everyone,

I fly back and forth to uk and us every few months I never used to have a fear of turbulence until I experienced a really bad flight 1 year ago, now I am terrified!! If I didn't have to go I wouldn't but my family are in Us therefore I need to fly there t see them ! Please can someone tell me what to do to ease fear of turbulence and if there is any medication. To take beforehand
Steph , 10 Dec, 2012
Medications to take
I have been diagnosed with Anxiety and Panic Disorder and i have anxiety every day. I managed to focus my energy in the gym and this was a great reducer. On flights though no matter how hard i try to control my thoughts i am on the the verge of having a full blown panic attack once they close the door (regardless of flight time). I always carry my xanax (alprozolam-generic name)prescription in my back pocket for those just in case moments everywhere i go. A .05 mg dose lasts me about 4-5 hours. It definitely takes the edge off and sometimes if the anxiety is bad enough i take two tablets (it will not hurt you). It has helped me tremendously on long bus/car rides. You are alert while taking the medication, but at the end of the day when you try and look back on it-it appears to be a little bit of a blur. I am not a traveller nor do i ever want to be, but for work i need to do travel from time to time. My biggest travel time is coming up in the next three months where i am going to southeast asia (22 hour flight). I am nervous about that much time in the air, but i think i will be alright as long as i have my medication.
Jeff , 11 Mar, 2013
dropping feeling in a plane
hey people, I know what you are going through, I hate that feeling, I don't necessarily feel queasy, I just feel like I have no control how to deal with it is just to lean forward It helps ALOT for me
jasmyn bradford , 18 Jul, 2013
Pressure
Does anybody else have a intense pressure like in your guts during takeoff? Landing too but mostly takeoff.
Also hyperventilating anybody?

I too have been labeled as a fearful flyer when I really just can't stand the feeling.
Hope , 18 Aug, 2013
fear of flying
I got this fear when i was in sixth grade when i happen to ride in a Ferris wheel. My friends told me to shout and I did try to shout but I can't. I'm also afraid on fast vehicles that will suddenly drop.
@ weeks from now, I'm going to fly, I keep on reminding myself to face my fears now. Sometimes we just have to push ourselves to the limit to overcome fears. I hope I can do it with much prayers.
jade reyes , 30 Aug, 2013
Finally other people who know the sinking feeling
I used to fly ever once in a while but I haven't gotten in a plane in almost two years because of my fear of the sinking feeling. No one else ever seems to experience in but then again I'm too scared to look around when it happens. It feels like I'm falling and my heart is going to fall out of my body, I HATE that feeling so much. I will have to get on a plane again at some point in my life so I will try to remember to lean forward and tense up my legs and chest and see if that helps. People keep thinking I'm afraid to fly or have motion sickness but this only happens during take off, turbulence and landing but I don't mind it as much when we land because I know I will be on land again.
Mike , 01 May, 2014
Personal Training
Personal training and self motivation is the best way to get rid of all types of fears of flying.

The best belief you should keep in your mind is that flying is the safest mode of transport. I would advise you the following:

1. During takeoff
Try to look outside the window and assume that you are sitting in a car that is going up the road for about 8 to 10 minutes. Try to talk to the passenger sitting next to you to relax your temptations.

2. During cruise
Usually starts after 15 minutes of the flight. When a turbulence hits the plane, assume that the road is bumpy. Planes are tested and cruise is the safest part of any flight, whether its turbulent or not. So relax and prepare your self for landing.

3. During landings
Assume that the road is sliding downwards for roughly 15 minutes. Also, try to think ahead of the situation, e.g. what would you do when you reach a certain destination.

For more help or suggestions, please email me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it '> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Ali Riaz , 11 May, 2014
That stomach sinking feeling during take off
Hey everyone! I and so glad to know that there's a lot of us who are feeling the same thing during airplane take off. My friends and family know about my fear and every time I explain to them about the feeling I'm feeling, they really don't understand me. All of them enjoy flying and they ride roller coasters except for me. I also hate driving in SF downtown when I have to go on a steep hill. Oh I really cry like a baby and my knees shake all the time. Lol
I am also "a fearful flyer" everyone I know knows how scared I am going on a plane. Take off is the worst feeling for me
Nervous me , 07 Sep, 2014
never flew before always been scared of it
This Christmas we are flying to Florida it's my first time but I'm really scared.
Alexia , 22 Dec, 2014
A partial solution
I am an aero engineer and have the same problem with flying - the dropping sensation. Although I appreciate their help and concern, I get really fed up with people telling me not to worry as planes are safe, just relax, etc. I've taken motion sickness tablets, had hypnotherapy, the lot. They help a bit but they don't solve the problem. The problem for me is that the dropping sensation triggers a primitive but natural reaction to falling. The inability to predict and prevent the sensation (loss of control) causes anxiety and then fear. Although the hypnotherapy has helped relax me generally, a good bout of turbulence soon overwhelms me. (Though I also have the suspicion that the hypnotherapy was targeted at the wrong thing - if only I could get it to switch off or filter my sensitivity to vertical accelerations.) Sleeping certainly helps but I used to find this difficult to do - I guess because of the anxiety of losing more control. That all said, I think I've found a partial solution that works for me. On a long flight to Sri Lanka when trying to rest, some turbulence kicked off. I found that having my head tilted to one side made the dropping sensation almost disappear. I still got the sensation of the plane shaking but the dropping had virtually gone. I did this again on a flight back from Crete yesterday - the most turbulent flight I've ever been on - about 3 hours bad turbulence. It worked for me. Don't get me wrong - having your head cocked over for 3 hours is no fun either but better than the fearful dropping. Thinking about why this works - the body detects motion using the semi-circular canals in the inner ear. These are aligned in different directions and are filled with fluid. The fluid moving in the vertically aligned canal causes the brain to register a vertical acceleration - triggering that stomach dropping sensation. Tilting my head over makes the movement seem more of a side to side acceleration which I find more tolerable. Hope this helps someone else.
Terry , 02 May, 2015
Sinking feeling in stomach
Hi guys. So good to know other people are experiencing that sinking feeling in their stomach too! I get it really bad upon takeoff. Absolutely hate it!! I noticed though however when I fly to different cities nationally, the sinking feeling is different for each destination. I think it really depends on the angle the plane takes off on. I also got told once that if you have fatigued adrenal glands then that has an impact too (not sure if this is correct). I found as soon as the plane takes off, doing deep breaths helps. If you stop breathing when the plane takes off as you're freaking out, then I noticed you feel the sinking feeling more.

I will definitely be visiting my doctor to see if any medications can be prescribed!
what to do! , 02 May, 2015
Up/down sinking/lifting feeling...I just want it to stop!
Hey everyone! So pleased to have found this discussion.

I've always looked forward to flying and enjoyed all of my journeys until some pretty rocky turbulence two days ago flying back to the UK from Crete. (I still feel dizzy now!)

For the most part during take off I was able to use deep breathing exercises to hold the horrible sinking/lifting feeling at bay and sucked sweets to stop my ears popping, but on the descent I couldn't stand the up/down sensation any longer. I was gripping the seat and my boyfriends hand, breathing as if about to give birth, digging my feet into the floor, arching back and tensing my whole body.

On landing I was crying because my hands had locked in a spasm and it took a few minutes of massage for my thumbs to unfurl. Terrifying!

So now I'm looking for ways to help myself if in this situation again. I'm not afraid of flying, have never thought I'm going to die or even felt sick but I am now somewhat fearful of the feeling I get with turbulence.

This is not a new feeling, I've always experienced it and always hated it, even as a kid on a see-saw, bumpy slide, swing and going over bumps in the road. Roller coasters have pretty much always been a no go!

So, I wondered if anyone experiences the same thing...not just a horrible feeling in your stomach but a feeling of spiders crawling in your ears that makes you want to cling to the floor, complete disorientation, light headedness and a feeling of no control over your body? Also, does anyone know why some people find the up/down motion so dreadful whereas others seem to enjoy it? Is this to do with a balance sensitivity?

Thanks everyone and I wish you all well with overcoming your particular flying challenges
Jen , 28 May, 2015
I hate it - and im a trainee pilot
I have to say I absolutely hate g-force and the first time I ever pulled any it absolutely terrified me. But I love flying too much to stop. Take it from someone like me who still gets anxious being a passenger with sweaty palms and praying it doesn't get turbulent I think alot of it is also down to being out of control. I can assure you though you get used to it and the turbulence is usually not as bad as what you anticipate. The fact you can't see where you're going or what is happening adds to the 'out of control' and definitely exaggerates things. The first time I did accelerated stalling with negative and then plus G I hated it. The second time I knew what was coming and I had things to concentrate on and a level of control I was much more able and nowhere near as scared. Don't be scared; flying is a truly amazing experience. smilies/smiley.gif
Hannah , 24 Jun, 2015
Stomach sinking feeling
I can so understand this person.. i am so scared of flights that i start crying during take offs... I can never sit alone.. and if i experience that stomach simking feeling twice or thrice i start screaming...
Zee , 05 Dec, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com