here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Air Turbulence > How can I calm myself in turbulence?
How can I calm myself in turbulence?
Weather - Air Turbulence
Monday, 06 July 2009 13:30

Dear Captain Lim,

My absolute respect to you as a Captain and for this wonderful website which I've been reading during my entire weekend.

I am European and I am flying every summer to London, Italy, France and then get a connecting flight to my country in Bulgaria. Also, twice a year, I fly LAX to JFK or LGA to see my best friend.

Always, love, love, love flying and have never ever have been afraid until this summer when Air France went down the ocean in mid air and this still remains a mystery which scares me even more.

A month ago, two weeks after the AF terrible accident, when I flew LAX to JFK, the flight was great. Then JFK to LHR, six and a half hours over the Atlantic, I was mostly afraid of turbulence (something that has never bothered me before) and four hours into the flight, my fear...a bad turbulence, the Captain said: "Captain is speaking, please crew members, take your seats".

The plane was very shaky in my opinion as compared to all the flights I had. That was the strongest I've experienced or maybe I was just too scared and have read too much about the AF hypothesis where everyone mentioned weather and turbulence as the cause.

My questions is, would you recommend something specific I can read, even here on your site where flying will be such a pleasure as I always remember. Also, if a bad turbulence happens when I am in flight or over the water, how can I calm myself down?

Thank you so much,

All my compliments to you,

Snezhana Hristova Flynn

Hi Snezhana,

Thank you for the compliments. I have answered many questions on turbulence under here and here. Also, there are numerous books as well as 'Fear of Flying' websites that cover this topic – too numerous for me to recommend any specific ones. Most are generally good. The important thing is to equip yourself with the knowledge that pilots are aware that turbulence is uncomfortable to their passengers and would do their utmost to avoid them.

I do not wish to repeat myself in answering your question as it may be boring to some. Suffice to say, turbulence is generally an issue of discomfort rather than one of safety. Before someone jump on me by quoting that turbulence had caused the Air France Airbus A330 to crash, my humble opinion is that it was something else; more likely icings on the speed sensor probes (pitot). Yes, most aircraft can withstand the worst of the weather unless it was aggravated by failure of some other sensitive instruments.

My answer to the discomfort of turbulence in one magazine is to pretend that you are on a roller-coaster ridealt! Sometimes you just can’t help but ride through it! Rest assured that you are in the safe hands of the pilot who treasure his life just as much as you treasure yours!

I wish you a safe and comfortable flight in your next journey!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Thank you so much! I will remember your words next time I experience turbulence! Thank you Captain Lim!
Sneszhana , 07 Jul, 2009
Turbulence
Learning Self Hypnosis will help you through many situations including turbulence on flight. Its all about learning the art to keeping your anxiety in check
Thanam , 15 Feb, 2011
I am so Scared of Flying do you have any tips
When ever i go on a flight i sweat and i hold my breath
I ant help my self to stop every one tries to calm me down but it never works please tell me how to stop
Holly , 23 Nov, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com