Latest Comment

Can you become an ai
Hi captain, I met with a road accident and got a s

Why do I experience
Having just returned from Newfoundland...I had two

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airlines > What are your thoughts on Low Cost Airlines Scoot and their pilots?
What are your thoughts on Low Cost Airlines Scoot and their pilots?
Aviation - Airlines
Wednesday, 01 January 2014 02:59

Scoot budget airline launched

Hi Capt Lim,

It was a marvellous book of yours which I have just finished reading - congratulations on a wonderful career.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on low cost airline Scoot and in particular what their pilots are like?

Thanks

Glen (Australia)

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your compliments on my book (Life in the Skies).

Scoot is basically an ultra-low cost long haul carrier set up by Singapore Airlines (SQ) to compete with Malaysia’s AirAsia X. SQ had felt the competition that had their market share reduced and their solution was to outdo AAX. As such, Scoot’s business model is a carbon copy of Malaysia’s highly successful AirAsia X and even many of the routes are the same.

The fares are cheap but at the expense of their other on-board services.

In October 2012 Scoot partnered with its financially troubled sister, Tiger Airways to promote each other’s flights. According to an airline review,  “Scoot had pushed their crew and aircraft to their maximum legal limits, but have not experienced any issues so far. In 2011 Australian safety regulators temporarily grounded Tiger Airways because of repeated dangerous flying by pilots. Scoot sources its pilots from the same talent pool as Tiger Airways; employing pilots who have typically failed to secure employment with reputable airlines like Emirates or Etihad.”

Personally, I have friends in the pilot community who have joined Scoot as pilots. Those that I know are good and safe pilots.

PS. If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Airservices welcomes Scoot Airlines to Sydney

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Scoot
Dear CPT Lim - I do believe that Air Asia X also worked their A330s very hard too and in the interim still have to lease older planes from ex-Dragonair
William , 13 Jan, 2014
scoot
I'm flying with scoot in November this year (singapore to sydney) but I am terrified of flying, especially after recent air disasters. I'm worried about flying with scoot, especially after reading this. It sounds as though there are some very good pilots but there also may be less good ones. The recent air Asia disaster is hinting at pilot training and maintenance issues, I just hope scoot aren't similar. I'm hoping that the recent acquisition of some new Boeing 787s and the training that is being provided, and the fact that scoot are owned by Singapore airlines who are very good, means that they are OK. I don't care what the food is like I just want to get to my destination not the bottom of the sea!
jo , 01 Feb, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com