(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airlines > Why are some airlines still operating despite great losses?
Why are some airlines still operating despite great losses?
Aviation - Airlines
Thursday, 01 January 2009 12:59

Dear Capt Lim,

I am blessed to be able to access such a marvelous site.

I have two questions:-

1. Are aircraft such as the A310, B737-300 and B777 still profitable today? I would like you to explain a bit especially with reference to PIA and Air India. What about the profitability of the A330 and A340-300/500/600?

2. I have read in the news that both PIA and Air India are suffering from a millions of dollars in losses along with many other airlines in the region. After losing so much, why are these airlines still around? Why don’t they go bankrupt? It is as if they are making profits but they don’t seem to meet the goals they have set.

What are the actual financial losses?

Sannan

Hi Sannan,

1. The newer airplanes such as the Boeing 777 and the Airbus A330/340 are generally more fuel efficient to operate than the older ones. The profitability of the airlines is not based solely on fuel-efficient aircraft alone. There are a lot of other factors as well. The most important is good management with minimum political intervention.

If you have a good leader at the top, he will improve the efficiency, modernized its fleet, optimized the workforce and runs the airlines in the way Singapore Airlines, British Airways or Qantas run their businesses. They all have been profitable airlines except for the recent global financial chaos that have affected most carriers in 2008. If PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) and Air India can emulate them, then there is hope for the airlines to stay afloat and be profitable.

Some good airlines are very proactive to ensure that they continue to maintain profitable even in bad times. This morning when I read the newspapers, Singapore Airlines has started proposing unpaid leave for its cargo pilots for up to 30 months after the global economic slump. This is to deal with an expected surplus of pilots next year and beyond as the company sidelined aircraft in the face of falling demand. (This is not very good news for the pilot community)

2. Remember PIA and Air India are national airlines. Despite theirs losses, the governments are unlikely to let them go bankrupt. However, the story may be different if they are fully privatized because when private funds or investors are unwilling to come in, the government’s intervention may be seen as an unfair bail out and they may have to go bankrupt.

Look at Alitalia - the biggest airline of Italy. It is on the verge of bankruptcy. Yes, the latest jaw-dropper is whether this loss-making, government-funded, battered airline will live to see another year.

The Italian government owns 49.9% stake in it. It loses about US$2.8 million a day and has faced mounting union pressure against layoffs and measures meant to keep it flying. A strong labor union will only expedite the demise of the airline.

I don’t know the actual financial losses of PIA and Air India and if I am not mistaken, they are unlikely to go bankrupt in the right sense of the word!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Recent Graduate With Frozen ATPL
Dear Captain Lim;

I recently graduate from a flight training program in the USA; with an FAA CPL and a Frozen ATPL with a total of 250 Hours(24 Hours Multi).

However getting a flying a job is proving quiet difficult; do you have any suggestions as to how I can tackle this.

I am willing to join an airline as a cadet pilot but I do not qualify due to the qualifications I already possess.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thank you
Malcolm , 19 Feb, 2009

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com