(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Airports > Why the landing was as crazy as it was in Kai Tak Airport Hong Kong?
Why the landing was as crazy as it was in Kai Tak Airport Hong Kong?
Aviation - Airports
Wednesday, 08 February 2006 02:27

Hi Captain Lim,

I*m very curious as to why the landing was as crazy as it was at Kai Tak. Why not a direct approach? Is it the mountains or tall buildings? Also, I*m curious on how you execute the landing: a lot of rudder, or banking more than any pilot ever should use on a Boeing 777 or 747?

And finally, while you were at pilot school, have you ever had that feeling that there were just way too much to learn, too many rules of thumb, too many variations on everything depending on aircraft, weather, etc., too much complicated stuff like exact angle of flaring, all the gauges, etc.?

Thank you for your time. I*m amazed at how huge your website is.

Yevgeny S. Milanov

Hi Milanov,

Yes, Kai Tak was a challenging airport to land before the new Chap Lap KoK (CLK) in Hong Kong, but I won*t say it was “crazy” to land there unless you were inexperienced and the weather was bad!

Cathay Pacific Boeing 747 Landing at Kai Tak Airport

In the old airport at Kai Tak, it was not possible to come in without a continuous right turn due to high ground on the final approach. So it was always hardwork for the pilot to align on the centerline at the last moment - especially if there were strong cross winds. Yes, you needed some rudder application coupled with the appropriate banking angle (depending on cross wind strength and direction) and a correct rate of descent. Well, today, when I am programmed to fly to Hong Kong, I look forward to more pleasant choices of four straight-in approaches in the new CLK airport!

JAL B747-400 Landing at Kai Tak International Airport

The pilot profession is a job where you never stop learning. Even if you were approaching 60 years, you would still be flying because you have been checked and certified every 6 months to have passed an exam (we called it a Base Check) So there is never a question of having too much to learn, too many rules of thumbs, too much complicated stuffs, etc.

Professional airline pilots are carefully selected, trained and supervised before they are allowed to fly on commercial planes. I believe, there are no group of professionals that has more continuing education than pilots. With such rigorous training, one would never expect pilots to perform “crazy” or daredevil stunts to risk the lives of their passengers.

Whilst I was in the pilot school, there was never a feeling inside me to fear that the job would be a formidable one; otherwise I would have lost the passion for the job.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com