Latest Comment

Can you become an ai
Hi captain, I met with a road accident and got a s

Why do I experience
Having just returned from Newfoundland...I had two

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Aptitude Tests > Cathay Pacific Airways Cadet Pilot Program
Cathay Pacific Airways Cadet Pilot Program
Pilot Career - Aptitude Tests
Written by Capt Lim   
Friday, 23 November 2007 02:25

How To Become An Airline Pilot

Dear Captain Lim,

How are you doing? I hope all is well. I send you an e-mail earlier about information regarding the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program.

Anyway, I would like to let you know what happen during my initial test yesterday. I am also suppose to get back from them within 3 weeks, but this morning, I received a call from Cathay asking me to go back for another interview. So I guess I passed my initial test. Now, I don't know what to expect from this interview. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Here's the run down of what happened during Stage 1 initial test yesterday:

1. English Listening Test

This is a 100 questions test with everyone in the same room. You listen to a tape and try to pick out the key words said and then underline the correct answer. Watch out though, as the speaker on the tape has a very strong English accent. You might want to brush that up if you are from North America or elsewhere.

2. English Grammer Test

This is another 100 questions test with everyone in the same room again. You have 40 minutes to complete this test. Again, you are suppose to underline one of the three correct answers.

3. Aptitude Test

There are a few parts in the Aptitude Test.

a) First part of the test - there are two short parallel lines with a dot in between. The two parallel lines will move left and right at varying speed and distance and you are suppose to use the joy-stick to move to dot and keep the dot as close to the lines as possible. This test will gets more difficult when your scores get higher and if you are not keeping up, your score will drop. You get 3 tries to get an average score.

b) In the second test - it is pretty much the same thing but with a twist. Instead of having the computer increasing you score and difficulty, you are suppose to press the green button to increase your score and thus increase your difficulty. And if things get too hard and it is out of control, you are suppose to press the red button to reduce your score and difficulty. If you did not press the red button, you will automatically lose score once things get out of control. So it is quite hard as you try to get maximum points while keeping things under control. Again, you get 3 tries to get an average score.

c) In the third test, you are suppose to bring the aircraft to a point in the glide path. You are suppose to align the plane with the runway and bring it down to 50 feet from touch down and at the same time, reduce the speed to 100 km/h. In this test, you use your joy-stick and the red and green button for throttle control. You will get points according to the speed of your approach (you are suppose to keep your speed as fast as possible before you reach 50 feet as you get higher points for a faster average approach speed) and your angle of alignment. You will get 1 test try and 5 real tries.

d) Quick Subtraction - you will need to do 50 quick subtraction questions. All you need to do is to confirm the answer is right or wrong. You will get points for your speed and accuracy.

e) In this coordination test, you are going to use the rudder pedal and your joy-stick to try to keep this cross within this box. The computer will try to move the cross away from the box to simulate wind. It is an interesting test. You will get points for the horizontal and vertical errors. You get 3 tries.

f) Shoot the bandit. This test use the red and green button. You will be shown two aircraft with two different wing span, the one with the longer wing span is the bad guy, the one with the shorter span is the good guy. Then the computer will randomly pop up planes with different wing span on the screen and you get 1.5 seconds to decide to press the green to shoot or red to stop. If you did not decide within 1.5 seconds, the computer will automatically shoot it down. You will do this for a total of 3 times and each time there will be 50 planes to decide which to shoot or not, the difference in the wing span size get smaller each time. In the last try, you can barely tell the difference. You will be graded for your reaction time and accuracy.

4. Reasoning Test:

There's two section to this test but basically you are being test on the same type of questions. You are suppose to decide which one of the 8 symbols belong to the missing one. You have 5 minutes for the first test, you should have enough time to do it as it only has 10 questions. Then you have 40 minutes for 36 questions. These questions are more difficult but you should have more than enough time to do this.

5. Presentation:

Finally, you are suppose to do your presentation in front of one of the recruitment lady. She is very nice and I think the actual substance of the presentation does not really matter that much but it is more of an oral test. They want to know that you can actually speak proper English. The lady really only paid attention to me for the first 30 seconds and then she begin to do her own thing and write something down on your application. But you need to do at least some research on your assigned topics before you go into your presentation.

So that's it for Stage 1 and you will be doing this with 8 other candidates. It is a fun experience. I felt a little bit overwhelmed by the other candidates as most of them have either their PPL or some flying lessons but I have never flown before. But I guess it didn't really matter as long as you know you want to do this, you will get through.

Anyway, thanks for your help Captain Lim. I will let you know how everything goes for my interview next week.

Yours truly,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your account of the stage one initial test with Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program.

I look forward to how you would fare in the second stage of the interview. Having a PPL or some flying experience is an advantage but that does not mean it would guarantee you a place in the program. If you are well prepared, have good leadership qualities, possess the right attitude and aptitude, your chances of getting into the airline is just as good!

I wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (48)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
jobs in airline , Low-rated comment [Show]
i dont know what to do.
Dear captain lim..

I am vinod from india.i wnat to join in aviation industry but due to family background its not very easy for me.kindly msg me if there is any international schlorships for pilot course.My mail id vinod_theist@yahoo.co.in

Regards

Vinod
vinod , 26 Feb, 2009
how to become a pilot , Low-rated comment [Show]
How to be a pilot
Dear captain Lim,
I always wanted to be a pilot of Singapore airlines but due to my family background, is not that easy for me to be a SIA pilot, I'm trying to get a singapore airlines scholarship but I'm afraid I can't because it's only apply for singaporean and resident of singapore. I'm a bruneian and I'm now staying at Perth studying and I'm pretty sure there's a SIA college near by my house.

thks and kindly reply me, my email is singapore_a380@hotmail.com
Nicholas , 08 Jul, 2009
subjects and salary , Low-rated comment [Show]
... , Low-rated comment [Show]
Awaiting
Dear Captain Lim,

I am Naveen and I am an aspiring pilot. I had dropped an application for Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme in early June and it was advised to notify the outcome of the application after 8 weeks from the date applied. I have not received any mail from Cathay Pacific about this and I am worried about it.

Please advice me whether I should send mail to them for status acknowledgement or wait for the outcome. Hopefully the outcome to be positive for me.

Regards,
N.Naveen

N.Naveen , 18 Sep, 2009
test announcement , Low-rated comment [Show]
test invitation
did any one got the invitation email from cathy pacific for test
aurangzeb , 28 Sep, 2009
what cadet really means
I am Man ghale and i am very much confused with this word cadet.Dont know what it really means is it before we do our pilot training or is it a scholarship programme for doing pilot training.please help me to sort it out
thanx
Man Ghale , 30 Sep, 2009
Still awaiting for test
Please anybody let me know about the date for career talk as this the month of November. I am still waiting for feedback of application. Thank You
N.Naveen , 03 Nov, 2009
how do i get a scholarship for MALAYSIAN AIRLINES?
Hi, my name is Jasdeep Singh. I'm a Malaysian born on 16 august 1992. Since the age of 11 i have dream to become a pilot and the time has come for me to achieve my dreams. But the problem is that my family has financial problem and they cannot afford. Besides, i'm also clueless on how to get a scholarship. i'm hoping fo Malaysian Airlines but even Cathay Pacific will do. Please reply and help me out. My e-mail add is
JASDEEP SINGH , 26 Nov, 2009
Dress Code , Low-rated comment [Show]
cathay pacific cadet pilot career talk
can anyone pls let me know whether cathay pacific has commenced career talk....im still awaiting
Vignesh , 13 Dec, 2009
do airlines give scholarships for indian pilots..????
Hi i am a trainee pilot in madras flying club...i would like to whether any airlines give scholarships for trainees like me....any airline is ok for me....even if it is a bond.....ill be grateful if you can help me find a scholarship from any airline company.....my email id is jamesnj34@yahoo.co.in

thanking you.......james
james , 12 Jan, 2010
Can a international student apply for the cadet programm? , Low-rated comment [Show]
how to become a pilot
dear sir ,I really wanted to become a pilot from when, i was a small boy .this dream of mine is so strong that till today i still want to become a pilot.but due to financial reasoning i am unable to do so, i am living in the islands of Fiji and over here i don't think there's any scholarships available here.i am willing to go abroad for this course if a scholarship is available for people like me .....
please help
reply on tn_weer@yahoo.com
tanweer , 17 Mar, 2010
Mr
Hi Sir,

My name is Joe aisa Jr I am 19years old and I come from Papau New Guinea
This year will be my finalyear Grade 12, I always dream of Flying one day, How do I apply as a international student. yours respectfully JA. please email my big brother edward aisa@interOil.com or eddieaj84@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Joe Aisa Jr , 29 Apr, 2010
answer please
HI sir

My name is brian I am 14years old from hong kong but i live in London i want to know what do i have to get in my GCSE and A levels . This is my E-Mail Vongola12th@live.com

thanks you.
Brian S C
BSC , 09 Jun, 2010
American Students
Dear Captian Lim,

I am an American Student studying aviation at Southen Illionis University Carbondale. I am wondering if cathy pacific only takes students from Hong Kong, or will the accept applicants from the U.S.?

It would be greatly appriciated if you could send me a responce at buzz223@siu.edu

Thanks,
Tom.
Tom P , 03 Sep, 2010
For goodness sake will you lot do your own flipping research!! Many many thanks for the heads up on stage 1 interview, much appreciated :-)
S , 22 Sep, 2010
Dear Captain Lim
I m an Aeronautical Engineer in India. I want to know if Cathay pacific accepts applications for Cadet program from Indian nationals..

Pls reply at nitinraghav@yahoo.com

thanks
Nitin , 30 Sep, 2010
apply to cadet pilot
Dear Captain Lim,

i'm interesting to apply to cadet pilot, my questin? its hard and how much it cost.

in addition i wish for u a forward step in ur career.

re.oc@hotmail.com

best regards
said z , 07 Jan, 2011
cost
Hi guys!
i'm interested as you at carrer in cathay as a cadet pilot, but i had a one question, the training for became a pilot is free? or which is the cost of training?

kindest regards for all and good luck!
Francesco , 17 Feb, 2011
I love flying
Sir,
I am 19 years old and had a huge aspiration towards flying. I am a good flight simulator pilot. I had always had the dream of becoming a pilot, but the price factor is just too high. My dad had been with aviation for the past 30 years as a manager n dubai airport. I have applied for the Cadet Pilot training under cathay pacific...but i am doubtful since i am an indian citizen. I have a huge dream of becoming a pilot someday and love flying.
I have karate brown belt, excellent english skills, I had been an NCC (National Cadet Corps)cadet for Indian Navy....

Do reply me at sooraj1992@gmail.com
sooraj , 21 Feb, 2011
CAdet Pilot Programs
Hi Capt.Lim,
Its very nice to see you help a lot of needy people out there. Iam also one of those needy!!

Capt.Lim, I ve finished my enginerring and now I want to be an Airline Pilot. Since the Jobs for a CPL holder in India is very tough, I wanna go for cadet course and fulfill my dream of being an airline Pilot. Please help me with different cadet programs available.

email: sachinshets@yahoo.co.in.

I truly thanku you for ur reply.
Sachin , 27 Mar, 2011
BMI
Hello Captain,

I Have recently passed the stage one interview for the cadet pilot programme and am on my way for stage 2/3. My question is about my Body mass Index and if there is a max or min? If I am over the limit even by a little will I be disqualified?

thank you
Carl , 06 Apr, 2011
Cadet Pilot Requirements
Captain, I would like to join this program however, I do not know the requirements, is a 4 year course really required? Or, it's okay to just go straight to joining an aviation school. I would highly appreciate it if you can email me any scholarships available and the requirements needed, like those from Cathay Pacific. Thank You

My email is zachary.santos@yahoo.com.ph
Zachary Santos , 07 Apr, 2011
i am facing financial problem to achieve my dream as a pilot as i come from a poor family background.
hi captain Lim, i am wong soon yu.i am 18 years old this year.i did my best in my spm and i have achieved good result.All i want is to achieve my dream as a pilot.i'd been doing survey regarding the price to get cpl at local flying academies and i was disappointed with the price they offered.i am a motivated person and i hope i can get scholarship from cathay pacific.please help me.thank you.
wong soon yu , 26 Apr, 2011
Young boy looking forward to be a pilot in the future
Dear Captain Lim,

My name is Brian and I'm a 14 year old boy from Hong Kong. I have dreamed of being a pilot ever since I was young. I'd like to know more about the competition in the aviation industry.

I exhibit fluent Cantonese (native) and English linguistical skills (comparable to native). My Mandirin is also far better than the average Hong Kong person. Am I going to benefit from much from this?

Are degrees (masters, bachelors) required for a pilot? If not, will having one or two degrees benefit in the selection process?

Are there any height requirements for being a pilot? I've read from somewhere that a minimum of 160cm (5' 3") is required. I'm currently 168cm (5' 6") but it seems to me most pilots are 175cm or taller. I have no eyesight problems at all, will that give me an advantage over other candidates?

Thank you for reading my questions and here's my email: kou_0808@hotmail.com
Brian , 29 Apr, 2011
advice for achieving further goals
respested sir,
my name is alister fernandes .i'm a citizen of india .i want to be a commercial pilot,but my family and myself want to sure of a job .i'm currently doing my A.M.E course in mechanical stream,category ha/je.as i'm in my final phase of the course i'm searching fr a cadet piilot program offered by any airline which would ensure me a job . plz reply a.s.a.p at my email id-alister.ashwill@gmail.com
alister fernandes , 12 May, 2011
cathy pacific program
hi i would like to know how long it takes to be called for the cadet pilot program at cathay pacific program coz i got a mail saying dat they wil consider in the next interview
hi , 18 Jul, 2011
how to become a pilot
Dear Captain Lim,

i'm interesting to apply to cadet pilot, my questin? its hard and how much it cost.

in addition i wish for u a forward step in ur career.

timjabezlibrando@yahoo.com
tim jabez , 26 Jul, 2011
I love planes
Hi captain Limbu.

Im experience of things a lot since 1992. I fly 34 planes and i still have energy in tank. Please take/accept me since i have worked withFlying school of pakistan. Although i am not pakistani, i am Chinese. My name is Choot Aye Ni. i really love pakistan and he flying school over there. They have tought me so much i still want to learn some more. Please take me into consideration as i am actually quite a good flight pilot. TBH,i am quite certified to be a nice and kind and handsome pilot. http://www.pakistaniaviation.com/photonew.html
that was the school i went to. they are so nice and kind.
Ok bye.
Choot Aye Ni , 22 Sep, 2011
regard to my career
hey sir my name is hsengiv 23 yrs old am doing my ppl in new zealand am from singapore i wanna go for cadet programme but i dont have a diploma as i dropped out from ngee ann poly pls advise me whether to go for cadet programme with a ppl and "o"levels or do my diploma first
email would be:aptvignesh@hotmail.com
thanks
hsengiv , 30 Oct, 2011
Businessman
Dear Mr. Lim,
I'm from the Philippines. I have a son who just graduated from private school, secondary level. He is interested to become a sucessful pilot in the future. I was just wondering if you offer scholarship program for our children who are much interest for the coarse and cannot afford. My email gmrojas422@yahoo.com. Thank you and regards!
Victor , 13 Nov, 2011
I would like to become a commercial pilot.
Hello Captain,
My name is Tudor, I am from Romania and I am 28 years old. I started flying gliders at 18 years and I gathered 400 hours. I would like to become a commercial pilot and I hope maybe you could help me.
I would like to know if I can qualify to a scholarship, and if not how much the costs are.
Best regards.
Please reply me at tenegrea@yahoo.com
Negrea Tudor , 18 Nov, 2011
To fly is my dream.
Hi,
Good Day to you sir!
I would like to know the details of Cathay Pacific's Cadet Pilot Program. What Are the requirements and who is eligible for the program. Please fell free to contact me when you have time.
mndm_8@Hotmail.com

Sincerely
Francis
Francis , 25 Nov, 2011
PILOT STUDY LOANS AND SCHOLARSHIP
I am looking to become a commercial airline pilot, but I do not have
the funds required to cover the training costs. I want to
Getting a loan from the bank because of the high rate . I
have looked almost everywhere on the internet looking for a commercial
airline that offers a pilot sponsorship that pays for all the training
and in return I work for them for a certain amount of years, slowly
paying them back but am fail. I do know that these sponsorships exist and a lot of
airlines have stopped them recently, but there are some . Can you help me? and how do I apply? What is a ways for getting it?
and grow do I apply?! . I am 20 years of age, I have just study in AIMST university KEDAH in foundation in engineering for one year and I finish in JUNE 2012.
so I believe this is the right time for me to apply. I
hope that you can give me some good advice and point me in the right
direction for becoming a commercial airline pilot.
Looking foreword to hearing from you!
Thanks
MY EMAIL:amos_claudian@yahoo.com

AMOS , 11 Jan, 2012
hello captain i am from philipines..i am doing PPL course over here..i am really dont have any idea after my CPL course...can you please help me to get into a right path??here is my mail id hari_xx12@yahoo.com ...capt please i really nid ur help
harihalan , 28 Mar, 2012
CX PROGRAM FOR AN ITALIAN
Dear Captain Lim,
is it possible for an italian student to pass the selections for the program??
is there an italian pilot in CX??
thank you very much!!
franco , 19 Dec, 2012
Why is Cathay Pacific Airways such a racist airline?
Dear Captain Lim

I trust this finds you well, and I hope you do not mind me writing to you like this. The reason is that I have wanted to apply to Cathay Pacific Airways for becoming a pilot but I have sadly realised that they only employ white people (from Australia, Canada, America, New Zealand, South Africa and the UK), or Chinese people. I have never seen a black or South Asian pilot or cabin crew (i.e. Indian) with Cathay Pacific (despite they call themselves Asia's World City).

I mean its really degrading, and I think the world should know the truth that this airline is a racist airline. There was a case in 2011 when a British Muslim was refused work by Cathay Pacific (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...acism.html)

Its put me off applying for a job with Cathay Pacific Airways. I do think that this company is a joke. Anyone racist in the 21st century is living in the past, backward and ancient. Do I think that Hong Kong people are leaders when it comes to racism? Yes I do.

thanks

Nigel , 19 Dec, 2012
hi sir
i wish to find out if there is any airline that can sponsore a complete pilot trianing
shawn hope , 24 Apr, 2013
Hello Sir,
I want to become a pilot, in fact its goal that i want to achieve when i was 3 years old but here in Fiji Islands its to expensive to do this course, sir can you help in getting any of the international scholarship.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

email: chandricky@yahoo.com
Ricky , 02 Jun, 2013
I'm currentlty taking a business management course here in the philippines
Good morning/evening, sir
I heard that you need an engineering course as a pre pilot education. Will my degree in business management satisfy the standards of internationally recognize airlines like cathay?

To be honest, I'm just 18 years old. It has been a dream of mine since i was a child (considering that i still am) to be a pilot. Thanks to my mother, a senior flight purser in cathay pacific, i've been traveling all over the world.
Hans , 17 Oct, 2013
want to be a pilot
Dear Sir,
How are u today.My self Bijit Majumdar.I have done Aircraft Maintenance Engineering from India but haven't got any opportunity in India.But my dream is want to be a pilot but i don't have enough money to do the training so I just want ask you is their any airlines which company will give any opportunity to the Cadet Pilot Training.I will be really grateful if give me any positive information.my Email id bijit120@yahoo.co.in .And any of the friends who are seeing my post if you have any positive information regarding the Cadet Pilot course please let me know on my email ID.

Thanks
Bijit
Bijit , 16 Dec, 2014
Ask about pilot scholership
Hi sir.im denny here frm malaysia.i want to join in aviation industry but due to my famly beckground its not easy for me to become a pilot. Kindly email me if there have any international pilot scholership. Tq. My email add. denny_royal90@yahoo.com
Denny , 17 Sep, 2015
I want to become a pilot with cathay pacific
Hi
My name is Rushil Ahuja and am an Indian citizen. From the age of 16 I always wanted to become a pilot. I used to watch all the episodes of air crash investigations because of my interest in aviation. I really like the way the pilots communicate with the ATC and the way the dress. Captain's hat and the respect they get really amazes me. But I cannot bear the cost of pilot training. Are there any pilot training programs that teach you how to become a pilot and then give you a job with cathay pacific. I am 24 and still eagerly want to become a pilot with cathay pacific. My email id is ahujarushil@gmail.com
Rushil Ahuja , 15 Jan, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com