(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Pilot Cadetship and Careers
Pilot Cadetship and Careers
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Tuesday, 05 July 2011 15:30

Qantas Airways

Hi Captain Lim,

I am currently completing Year 12 (VCE) in Victoria, Australia. For about 6 years now, I knew a career as a Pilot was the job for me. I have about 5 hours under my belt in General Aviation, and I have passed my GFPT Theory test. Although I know I will need to do more hours before an interview if I get one.

I have applied for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot program. I am awaiting for my Assessment Day with the RAAF once I get my medical done (on hold awaiting clearance), and I have submitted my online application for Cathay.

I have done lots of research, and I am always keeping an eye on blog sites, to get the latest information. I heard that Cathay was interviewing in Melbourne in August, when would you expect that I might get a phone call??

Also, I am intending to apply for Jetstar, Skywest, Virgin Australia (when it comes online), Qantas (they haven't hired a pilot in 2 years, and their programs are still on hold) and Rex cadetships. Do you think all of these programs are worthwhile, especially the Jetstar one?? I intend to have a very long career in the Aviation Industry so bond's and contracts dont worry me. The dream is to be an International long-haul captain. Although, speaking to a few mates of mine at University, they had friends who got offered the Jetstar program and then found out the wage they would earn would barely pay their rent in Melbourne?? I have no issue with money, as flying is my only dream, but what are your thoughts??

Secondly, do you know of any other Cadetships, for International Based airlines or companies that Australians can apply for?? If it helps I am fluent in Japanese. :)

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any feedback or advice.

Many Thanks,

Zac

Hi Zac,

You would get a call from Cathay if you meet the criteria set by them.

If your dream is to become a pilot, any airlines job with those you mentioned above (Jetstar is a good airline) is worthwhile as a flying job with them is getting tougher by the day. In addition, you have to look for the window of opportunity to open. Even Qantas is downsizing and they may not even open their doors to new pilots hire for quite a while.

There are very few airlines that opened their doors to International cadet pilots. Singapore Airlines and Etihad Airways used to do that but, I believe, they no longer do that now. The only good one that opens to Australians is Cathay Pacific Airways but as you can see from the Blogs (including some letters in mine), many (especially expatriate Second Offices/Cruise Relief Pilots) are grumbling about the working conditions there.

My advice to those who dream to be airline pilots (or those who are already Second Officers there) is to patiently work their way up even if the salary is below their expectation for the moment.

All the best to your dreams alt.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

JetStar Airways

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Hi Captain Lim,

Thank you very much for the information!!

I will just wait and see in regards to the interview. Would it be worthwhile following them up at some point??

I was speaking to a friend who is a current Qantas Pilot, and he told me they haven't hired a Pilot in 2 years!! It looks like things are getting pretty tight in the Airline Industry in Australia.

Yes true, I couldn't find any new information on the Etihad Expat cadet scheme, they have closed it as well. If I was from Asia, I would have no problem, but with the Australian Aviation industry dwindling, my chances aren't great.

I certainly understand it, pay and conditions don't worry me, as they will come with age and experience!! I am just going to apply for everything and see where it leads me. Hopefully I won't have to fund my career and do it privately, because I don't think I will be able to afford it. Hopefully good things come my way, some day.

Please, if you do hear of any information or opportunities, or have friends that would be willing to take me on, let me know!! I would very interested in taking up any opportunity I can get. For the mean time, just keep studying, and hopefully something happens!!

Thank you for your support. smilies/smiley.gif

Zac
Zachary Clarke , 07 Jul, 2011
Seeking for advise
Hi Captain Lim,

Im currently doing my practical as an aircraft maintenance technicion in Malaysia.. by the way im Malaysian.. But my dream is to become a pilot.Im from ordinary basis family where financially unstable.So, pls advise me on what i should do nw?

Thank you...
NENCY PHILIP , 17 Feb, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com