PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Pilot wannabe with age and work-inside-cockpit issues
Pilot wannabe with age and work-inside-cockpit issues
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 27 July 2011 14:31

Qantas A380 taking off from Melbourne.

Hi Capt Lim,

I hope to realize my dream as a pilot, but it’s a bit late for me now - 34 years old this year. I have to support my family and everything for the past few years

I have an Australian passport, brought up in Singapore, so I consider myself a true blood Singaporean even though I have an Aussie passport alt.

The odds are against me for SQ recruitment and some other airlines since I am a foreigner. According to online feedback, Qantas and other Australian airlines are not hiring or training.

I have checked a few internet sources. For me to get into flying, it seems very risky, especially if self sponsored. By the time when I finished my flying course in Australia, I will be 36 years old and waiting together with the younger guys, hoping to get recruitment from ANY airlines...

I am not sure how difficult the interviews and flying exams are, but I believe that I can get through them. I am medically fit as well.

Do you know anybody who gets recruitment with airlines at late age of 36 years old and above?

Something on my mind - long hours in the plane, I can't sit still for hours (restless) in the plane as a passenger, my legs cramp up easily from sitting for hours etc..

Does that happen to some pilots in the cock pit?

I would appreciate your feedback and advice.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lester

Hi Lester,

Please read the section on Age (see here) under Pilot Career in my Website to get an idea about your query.

Anyway, you may be on the borderline to become a sponsored pilot for some airlines – SIA may consider you in the past but unlikely now because you are no longer a Singaporean citizen. Your only choice is to be a self-sponsored pilot and even that, it would be a long and winding road for you to maneuver before you can realize your dream. Can you take it especially if you have to support your family at the same time?

Flying jobs in Australia are hard to come by as you have realized but not impossible if you have completed a flying course with the necessary licenses and the determination at 36 years old. You have to work your way up (even starting up as a crop duster, charter flying, etc to build up your hours) because you have no experience. Thereafter, you can start to look for a flying job in the airlines with at least 1500 hours. I believe, Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong is probably the only airline I can think of that recruits new pilots from Australia.

Flying in the cockpit for long hours is different from that of passengers at the back. Pilots are often very busy even on long cruises and I never had such issues when I was in the cockpit.

I wish you all the best in your futurealt.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Australia Pilot Shortage

JetStar Pilot Recruitment

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
RE : Aviation Exam
Dear Lester
I agreed with what Capt Lim statement. The aviation exam from JAA is difficult. If you prepare to enter to airline you must have the full commitment. Good luck and best wise. Hope one day we may fly at the same airline
DAVID , 30 Jul, 2011
Aptitude Tests Online
Thanks for the post in this site I will bookmark this page and tell my friend about this blog I think this article increase my knowledge. Thank you!

aptitude test
udong miswa , 15 Aug, 2011
how to become a pilot ?
i am in class 1X and from india
i want to know that is there something that i should working at to become a pilot?
Akash , 04 Nov, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com