What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > What is the solution for pilot wannabe like me?
What is the solution for pilot wannabe like me?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Monday, 12 December 2011 16:21

Cathay Pacific – I Can Fly

Hi Captain Lim,

I am one of those who dream to fly as a commercial pilot.

I know that there are a lot of jobless pilot graduates around in Malaysia

I have decided to work in other countries like Hong Kong after I get my license

Do you think I should go to the Malaysian flying schools (Melaka’s or Langkawi) or those in Australia (Basair or others)?

Or do you have any better solutions for me?

Do other countries have a higher demand for pilots than in Malaysia?

Thank you.

Yoo

Hi Yoo,

Very soon, Malaysia will join the ranks of countries in Australia, Europe and the USA where commercial pilot jobs will become very hard to come by. From sources in the DCAM, there are about 2000 pilots with frozen ATPL in Malaysia waiting to get into the airlines. Vacancies are few and competition is tough!

Gone are the days when a graduate with a frozen ATPL is quickly absorbed into the airlines. Unless one is sponsored by the airlines today, a flying job is not assured because there are too many flying schools in Malaysia producing too many new pilots.

When you graduate with a frozen ATPL, you would have around 250 flying hours and to unfreeze your ATPL, you need to have around 1500 flying hours. A fresh graduate with 250 hours without experience is one too many in the market now. Therefore a new pilot graduate is recommended to get a type rating on the Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 before he becomes employable.

Yes, you can also work in Hong Kong. Anyway, you don’t need to have a license if you apply for the Cathay Cadet Pilot Program but I must remind you the entry procedures and requirements are very rigorous. See here.

In fact, Carhay has 3 positions. The three Second Officer Entry programs are:-

1. Cadet Pilot Program – a 61-week program for applicants with low experience and no ICAO CPL.

2. Advanced Entry – a 30-week program for applicants who possess an ICAO CPL and have in excess of 250 hours flight time in specified categories.

3. Transition Training – a 14-week program for applicants with an ICAO ATPL, or CPL with passes in all ICAO ATPL subjects, and with appropriate flying experience for the shorter training course.

You can apply to join the Malaysian Flying Schools or those in Australia but Malaysian license is preferable because of cost and the need to convert an oversea license. As a reminder, when you graduate, you would have to compete with the other 2000 pilot graduates waiting in the queue unless you are exceptional.

For more information, you can read my previous emails on this issue here

I wish you all the best!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Cathay Pacific – I Can Fly

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
"You can apply to join the Malaysian Flying Schools or those in Australia but Malaysian license is preferable because of cost and the need to convert an oversea license."

Sir, if I'm planning to find the job in overseas do you recomend me to apply Malaysia's flying schools?
Yoo , 13 Dec, 2011
Malaysian License
Malaysian frozen ATPL's are generally not recognized overseas unless you are a Captain with a lot of experience.

However, if you are successful with Cathay, then they would assist you with the license conversion.

Even if you get a flying license in Australia or overseas elsewhere on your own, you are unlikely to be employed .smilies/sad.gif
Captain Lim , 15 Dec, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com