AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

What happens when a
The answer is found here in Tom, Dick or Harry htt

Malaysia Airlines -
I am interested in the 777 Super Ranger Flight of

How to unfreeze an A
Hello guys Thank you for this interesting topic.

Can an aircraft take
In pactical terms, a commercial airplane never tak

What are the eyesigh
Dear Capt Lim, I am hoping to join a flying schoo

How to unfreeze an A
Hi, following on from the clear discription above;

Should I get a Degre
hi capt lim..i am wilson from sarawak..i am 17 yea

How much does a Boei
Hello Captains and Co-pilots I am currently 14 yea

Why do I experience
I am 25 yr old male, have flown my entire life no

The MH 370 and MH 17
Hello i am wondering do you know or recomand some

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Why I want to be a Pilot? (A child’s eye view of the best job in the world)
Why I want to be a Pilot? (A child’s eye view of the best job in the world)
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Sunday, 22 January 2012 10:34

So you want be an airline pilot? Part 1

Hey Captain Lim,

First of all, I would like to address that it is a real privilege to be able to speak to an experienced pilot who knows what life is like in the aviation scene.

I'm a 13-year-old girl and for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a pilot. I would spend hours on end watching the planes at the airport take off the runway. I love the feeling of packing my bags, traveling some place new that I have never explored before.

To sum it all up, I just LOVE airplanes and flying AND the idea I can FLY people around the world! I'm just not sure it’s the right job for me, because my dad says I need to make a quick decision because now is the right time to start training.

It’s true. I want to start early. It sounds ridiculous, but I want to be young and energetic (maybe in my twenties?!) when I'm flying a Qantas Boeing 737, or even an A380!

I have so many questions about it - do you get paid well? I want to have a pretty good income because I want to have a big family and house. Is it fun? Is it safer than being a doctor, politician etc.? Will I regret it? I hate regretting things I've done. Is it really hard? I'm also a girl, so will I be discriminated against?

And I would also like to know, if I definitely want to become a pilot, where and when should I start training if I want to start early?

My dad also says I have to be a real maths ‘brainiac’ if I want to be a pilot, and only OK at maths...

But being a pilot looks like one of the coolest jobs ever~

Thanks so much Captain!

Regards,

Mary Anne

Hi Mary Anne,

There are many good things and some disadvantages being written about being a pilot and I often leave the reader to make their own decision at the end of the day.

You can read 113 FAQ in my site on Pilot Career here. They would hopefully answer most of the questions you asked about.

Below is a child’s view (taken from the Net) of the pilot's job that may not necessary be completely true…

I want to be a pilot when I grow up because it is fun and easy to do.

Pilots don't need much school; they just have to learn numbers so they can read instruments.

I think they should be able to read maps so they can find their way if they get lost.

Pilots should be brave so they won't get scared if it's foggy and they can't see or if wing or motor falls off they should stay calm so they'll know what to do.

Pilots have to have good eyes so they can see through clouds and they can’t be afraid of lightning or thunder because they are closer to them than we are.

Pilots are always rich; they make more money than they can spend. This is because most people think airplane flying is dangerous except pilots don't because they know how easy it is.

There isn't much I don't like, except girls like pilots and all the stewardesses want to marry them and they always have to chase them away so they won’t bother them.

I hope I don't get airsick because if I do I couldn't be a pilot and would have to go to work.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

So you want be an airline pilot? Part 2

You want to be an airline pilot?

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (8)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
BECOMING A PILOT
HY CAPTAIN LIM COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HW I CN BECOME A PILOT.I'VE JUST DISCOVERED THATS WHAT I WANT TO DO BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE THE COOLEST JOB TO DO AND I WANT TO FUFIIL MY DREAMS BECAUSE I ALWAYS DREAMT OF BECOMING A PILOT AND I THINK I'M GOOD AT ALL THE SUBJECTS THAT ARE NEEDED .THANK CAPTAIN LIM
TINASHE FIREYI , 18 Feb, 2012
becoming a pilot
captain lim i`ve just got this address from 3SIXTY magazine . from this magazine make me how to strive me to become a pilot one day.could you tell me what way to make me become a pilot
rusyaidi , 01 Mar, 2012
Hi Mary Anne,
This is coming from a 43 year old who wanted to be a airline pilot earlier in my life but could not do it for various life's reasons. I think you should pursue your aviation career. At your youthful age you should join the Air Cadet program in your country (free of charge). I am assuming you live in Australia. The cadet program will get you a glider and even a Private Pilot License. When you get to secondary school you should take Mathematics and Science Courses. When you reach post Secondary school you should consider joining the Air Force. All your training will be free of charge. Nowadays there is no longer any discrimination against women, not even in the Armed Forces. You will probably have to commit several years serving the Royal Air Force but Australia is a "Dove Country" and you will not to deployed to Hostile places. Airlines pick up Air Force pilots first even Capt. Lim is a living proof.

I know women who have successfully attained a aviation career and still able to start a family.
So, go for it girl.

All the best.

Cavok
CAVOK , 21 Jan, 2013
hey
smilies/smiley.gifthank u
naman , 21 Aug, 2013
pilot
Iam the best child pilot ever. i flew an a380 to dubia with another 45 year old pilot
yashveer , 21 Feb, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

30 Previous Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com