PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Is being an airline pilot a safe job?
Is being an airline pilot a safe job?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Thursday, 28 February 2013 03:04

Life as an Airline Pilot

Dear Captain Lim,

I am 16 and I am thinking of becoming an airline pilot when I grow up.

I just want to know if being an airline pilot is a safe job.

I want to know if there are a lot of pilots that work until retirement and if pilots have short lives.

Joseph De Leon

Hi Joseph,

I would like to dispel the misconception that an airline pilot career is a dangerous one. Some have equated the airline pilot to that of the fighter pilots of the Second World War! Today, an airline pilot is well trained and the machine he flies is state-of-the-art and very reliable.

I also know statistics has indicated that the pilot profession is the second most dangerous profession. But ‘pilot’ here refers to those in the general aviation, meaning those categories encompassing small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots and crop-dusters, not airline pilots. Their planes may be old and the maintenance less stringent than among the major airlines.

Statistics have shown that flying is more than 20 times safer than driving. Hence I am surprise to note in the 2005 CNN report that the 10 most dangerous jobs by fatality rate listed the aircraft pilot as being above the truck or taxi drivers. But that was the statistics for the year 2005. (see here

In my opinion, choosing an airline pilot job today as a career is just as safe as any other normal profession!

Yes, there are many airline pilots that have worked until retirement and I am one of them!

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Day in the Life of an Airline Pilot

Crop Duster Pilot in Action

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Let Me Fly
For the most part people do not sit on the fence when it comes to flying - you either love it or hate it.
And one thing for sure is that you have to be always on ou top and you can't have an off day in this profession so SAFETY is paramount. As long as you have that zeal and hunger for success you will definitely succeed. You can visit us:
www.qroacker.com/let-me-fly you need to
Vikram Sharma , 17 Mar, 2013
enquiry about application of cadet pilot
hello Mr Captain Lim , it is pleasure to see you here , i am Joseph ,Malaysian,20 years old ,who is a diploma holder in business administration (just graduated)CGPA 3.1 ,i am Art stream student, this is my SPM result
A - General Science
B+ -English in(Business administration)
Credit- English (SPM)
Credit- Mathematics
A - Art
A - Moral
B+ - Chinese
i am extremely hope that i can become responsible and outstanding pilot one day ,please ,trust me ,my first choice is to become cadet pilot of airasia ,i know pilot is not an easy job because they are the one who handle the whole passenger's life in the air and i believe myself that i can do it because it is my dream ,i love this job very much ,no matter how hard it is ,i will complete it as hard as i can , i have already apply to become cadet pilot of airasia and now waiting for their response in this coming April,in the meantime , i have start to read and review the thing related to CPL and Aviation,know about the plane cannot land under what circumstances ,briefly know about the what procedure should be done before the flight take off,(check all the body of aircraft is under a stated condition)preflight preparation,aircraft should go around first if there are another aircraft ready to take off or instructed by tower, and what affect the lift force that is needed by the aircraft, aircraft will require more longer distance to take off under cold weather and many more i know,i will try to explore and learn it if i can become cadet pilot so what should i do in this moment before this coming April ? i really need your opinion ,hope you can look into it , your concern is much appreciated , captain lim thank in advance
John Tong , 23 Mar, 2013
Becoming a pilot
Hi , if my SPM exam not very well (english (A) math (A) science (B) physic (B) ) like this will can join in and pass the fight exam? What airlines in malaysia i can join in ? First to be copilot then pilot right !so how much time to from copilot to pilot? What is the copilot and pilot salary ?can you let me know the salary start from how much to ... Got many people to join in the airlines? If i join in will be easy?the airlines will choose how many people ?
William , 18 May, 2013
Choose a career as pilot or not
Respected Sir,
I have just passed my 12th from science stream(PCM).
I want to become a commercial pilot.I have this plan from last 4-5years. But after googling so much I found that getting a pilot job is very tough. So I want to know that I should do CPL training or not or leave my plan. IS there any job guaranty there. Or the training cost will get wasted. Or I can get other good job after getting my CPL and IR.
Thank You
Nakul
Nakul , 13 Jun, 2013
want to become a boeing pilot
hello captain,
i want to know the steps to become a pilot in boeing planes.india is better or suggest some countries.my choice is piliphines,canada,newzland
raja K , 23 Nov, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com