here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > My son who lacks academic qualifications wants to be an airline pilot
My son who lacks academic qualifications wants to be an airline pilot
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Wednesday, 05 June 2013 12:03

Singapore Youth Flying Club

Dear Capt Lim,

I am glad I found your site.

My son has only 2 'O' levels and presently serving the military, due to complete in Dec 13.

He wants to become a pilot. I have been asking around and the soundest advice is like this:-

Academically, he is unlikely to be sponsored by an airline. The next best option is to go to a flying school and get a PPL / CPL (IR), either in Singapore or Malaysia.

After attaining CPL (IR) then try to apply for a pilot's post in any airline.

What's your take on this?

Joseph Chai

Hi Joseph,

It is true that no airline will sponsor your son without the minimum qualifications – 5 'O' Levels with at least credit in English, Maths and a Science subject.

On top of that, flying schools in Malaysia or Singapore would not accept students without the basic qualifications stated above.

Your options would likely be to send your son to some US flying organization where entry level is not as stringent but US FAA licenses are not equivalent to ICAO licences. Even if he could get his US PPL/CPL (IR) converted, the airlines here would still look at his basic qualifications – 5 ’O’ Levels.

At the moment, due to the surplus of new pilot graduates, an airlines job is out of the question and assuming if he can get his CPL in the end, the possible likelihood of a job is found in general aviation - crop dusting, private charter or as an assistant flying instructor in a flying club. But his lack of basic academic qualification is likely to be the major obstacle to a successful flying career in the airlines in this part of the world.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Aerial Crop Dusting

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Hi joseph,

I would agree with Capt.Lim that the best solution for your son to become a pilot is via the self sponsorship route.

After he has complete his CPL Me/IR, he can apply as a flight instructor and build up his experience and hours.

I have hired many pilots with extensive hours and today they are flying the B737 and A320.

Important is never to give up and pursue your dreams.Goof Luck!

Regards,
Andy
www.flygosh.com

Author of the best selling book FlyGosh Pilot Secrets
Andy , 18 Jun, 2013
what is the degree requirement to become a pilot in india
Hi captain Lim ,
i am a student in 8th class,i want to be a boeing 777 pilot.i score nearly 70-84 percent every year in annual exams. can i be a pilot by scoring these marks constantly?
Dikshant sharma , 25 Jun, 2013
Being a pilot through SAF
Dear Captain Lim ,
I was wondering if it is possible to become a pilot through the training done by the Singapore Armed Forces ?

Glenn
Glenn , 01 Jul, 2013
hello captain,
i want to become a pilot in boeings.plz tell me the steps. now iam completed bca.suggest some countries. thank you

raja K , 23 Nov, 2013
by douts
Hai sir iam studying in a cbse school in 10th I would like to become pilot in airline I poses all human quality but iam not rich iam above average in studies but I have gone by many flights I understand that you need more academic qualified. Iam now studying in 10th what to do after it .my ambition is to become a pilot in qatar airways I think you will give me a reply the main problem pilot need more money to study iam not rich you have to tell me how much is needed
shiva prasad , 14 May, 2014
asking your help
Respected sir,
Iam an indian citizen.l lived in kerala which a state of india. I am 15years old I am studying in 10th I need your help .I will getting 80&#xma;rk in my 10th .what to do after 10th . I know you are well traambition pilot. My ambition is to become a pilot in qatar airways.so please i need your advice for this .i am waiting for your reply
Your sincerely shivaprasad
shivaprasad , 24 Sep, 2014
i want sponsorship for my pilot training
Dear captain

I want sponsorship for my pilot training and really passioned and really enthusiastic and I have collected most of the aerodynamic knowlage on my own
jimit , 28 Oct, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com