here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Should I be a lawyer or a pilot?
Should I be a lawyer or a pilot?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Sunday, 27 October 2013 09:12

So you want to be an airline pilot – The big money

Dear Sir,

I am 16 this year. I should have started to decide on which career I should choose. Honestly, I wanted to become a lawyer. I am a good speaker and had been representing my state for the national level debate competition recently.

I love to talk. From what I read, lawyers do not earn as much as pilots do. They have no fixed income. Running a firm is like running a business.

In Sibu alone, there are a number of law firms, but only a few are successful. I wanted to have a family. If I have no fixed income, how am I going to feed my family? A stable finance is important for the future of my kids and wife.

Recently, I found a survey of 10 highest paying jobs in Malaysia. Pilot was the list-topper with an average salary of RM 35000/month. I thought perhaps becoming a pilot is good for me.

Well, for the very first reason, it offers high pay. And plus, I'd get the chance to travel around the world for free. But, I know nothing about aviation. Not even a basic knowledge. I don't think doing a job for the sake of high pay is good.

My mom wants me to get a job with high pay. To her, being successful is by getting high pay. So, sir, I am confused.

Should I go on with my dream career, which is to be a lawyer, or becoming a pilot for the high pay?

Did you choose to be a pilot because it offers high pay?

Thanks.

Dex

Hi Dex,

Being an airline pilot in Malaysia is getting very competitive today. As of 19.9.13, the DG of Civil Aviation in Malaysia reported that there are still 1174 pilot graduates yet to be employed. (see here

It is because of the attractive salary that many have invested a lot of money to get the necessary licences to become an airline pilot (between RM 280,000 – RM330,000). Basically, it is a question of supply exceeding demand issue. As a result, airlines will only select the best in terms of personal skills, performance and qualifications.

That said, there are some pros and cons of becoming an airline pilot which have been covered in this site many times. Please do a search in this website as many doctors, engineers, dentists have asked me these similar questions. It is a personal choice.

If you have read my book just launched (see here) I have mentioned that I have obtained a law degree (LLB) and a CLP whilst in the airlines but did not practise law as I love flying more. It was more of a backup in case I was medically grounded.

I belong to the old school where I have limited career choices. So being a pilot was not my first choice then. It was beyond my dreams. I only wanted to be a teacher! Good pay came along later in life. (You can read more on this under the topic of a Lifetime of Flying in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES)

All the best to your career choice.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim  If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES and you can purchase a copy here  .

So you want to be a lawyer?

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Dear Sir,

I am 18 this year. This is the first time I come across to this website after buying your book "Life in the skies" even though I haven't finish reading your book. I have a few questions to ask for your opinion.... I am a girl and yes I really want to become a pilot is not just because I enjoy flying (I'm sure everybody loves flying!) But I am kinda more into enjoying seeing the skies and clouds (this may sound stupid) cause it feels like there are showing different stories around the world and I enjoy it. Also I like to study different type of airplanes especially the A380.

Anyways back to my point...Currently I am doing A-levels and will be completing it soon. I am looking for a flying school and I have in doubt that should I choose a flying school which roughly I can graduate and become a qualified pilot after 18 months...or should I go to a Uni which that will takes about 3 years...

Secondly I don't know should I take my pilot course here in Malaysia or in overseas. Taking pilot course might be more expensive in overseas than studying in local but hearing from my parents that oversea instructor are more experience than the locals. If I really want to study in overseas do u have any suggestions of the flying schools? So far I manage to get information about Massey University.

I hope to hear from your opinion soon. Thx Sir.

Florence
Florence , 16 Dec, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com