PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > A pilot wannabe who failed in the MPL pilots selection worries that his dream would die..
A pilot wannabe who failed in the MPL pilots selection worries that his dream would die..
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Saturday, 21 June 2014 05:22

MPL Training by Finnair Flight Academy

Good Day Capt Lim,

I am a keen and ambitious guy whose long life dream is to fly with an airline for a living. I'm a Singaporean who had just completed my military service and now looking for an aviation course to pursue my dream.

Today I went for a selection test for MPL with Qatar Airways as well as for the CPL. Sad to say I didn't quite made if for MPL and I have the options to agree and take on the CPL.

There are a couple of questions that is running through my head after the selection. Here goes:-

1. What is bothering me now is that what are the benefits of these two licenses?

2. Are there any academy that offers MPL course? (I applied for ST Aerospace Academy and CAE Oxford Aviation Academy does not have any MPL course open at the moment)

3. If I were to complete my CPL course what kind of airline can I fly with?

4. Will I be dealing with a huge open window of not being able to find an airline after completion of my CPL?

I'm really worried that my dream was to die right here. I want to pursue and live this lifelong dream- to be a pilot.

Please help me here!

Thank You,

Worried Guy

Hi Worried Guy,

I have explained about MPL (Multi-crew Pilot Licence) in an earlier answer here and another one here

At the moment, AACE (Asia Aviation Centre of Excellence - a joint venture between AirAsia and CAE) in Kuala Lumpur does conduct MPL courses for airline sponsored students only. They have to be approved by the DCAM (Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia). I believe they have yet to open this service to individual pilot at the moment but maybe in the future.

These are some of the issues for some individuals seeking to do a MPL course:-

1. You cannot undergo this course alone as you have to have a partner. (Cost up to around RM350,000 each)

2. Normally MPL courses are sponsored by the airlines as they would guarantee you a job.

3. You have to pass the MPL Assessment hurdle which is not easy as your Qatar Airways experience has shown.

4. Unlike the conventional route that prepares you for an ATPL, the MPL prepares you straight into airline operations as a co-pilot with 2nd pilot hours that are not generally recognised by other airlines.

5. You may have to prepare for the ATPL theory exam on your own as the MPL course have a different objective.

6. You have problem getting a type endorsement on the airplane (A320 or B737) at the end of the day unless you are employed by an airline. Even if you can get a type endorsement, you have to maintain the type currency every six months. That is a major issue if you are not with an airline.

On the assumption that you go through a conventional flying school and graduate with a CPL/IR, you still need to log 1500 hours to convert it to an ATPL. That is not possible unless you are hired by an airline. Very few airlines will employ fresh graduates with CPL except in general aviation. Yes, there are still many jobless CPL graduates.

All these problems can normally be solved if you are sponsored by an airline via the MPL or the conventional CPL route.

So an individually sponsored trainee pilot will face an uphill task of achieving his/her dream.

Base Training on Airbus A320 – MPL

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
CTC wings offers MPL courses as well!
Mads , 21 Jun, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com