What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > Doctor: Am I too late to pursue an airline pilot career at 34 years old?
Doctor: Am I too late to pursue an airline pilot career at 34 years old?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Tuesday, 18 January 2011 13:28

Dear Captain Lim,

I was too late to notice your site. I am impressed with your advices. I am from the medical profession and to achieve an ATPL and to become a commercial air line pilot is my dream.

I just want to check with you as I am 34 years old now - is it too late to go for a CPL rating?

After completing the course, is it difficult to get a job in aviation?

Is there any chance for me to get a sponsorship for the cadet pilot program?

Regards,

Dr Abhilash

So You Wanna Be A Pilot?

Dear Dr Abhilash,

I do not know where you are from but if you are a Malaysian, the prospect to pursue an airline career is not very bright at the moment. In The Star newspaper in Malaysia this morning, it was reported that there are 500 pilots who have recently graduated from the flying schools and they are still waiting for job offers from the airlines.

Unless you are sponsored by the airlines under the Cadet Pilot Program, there is no guarantee that the airlines would take you if you are privately sponsored. So the competition is very tough even after you are qualified as a pilot.

Air Asia’s Cadet Pilot Program is open at the moment. Please visit here to view the requirements and apply online here .

The requirements are reproduced below:-

• Malaysian citizen, aged between 18 and 28 as of date of application.

• Minimum height of 163 cm (5ft 3in).

• Passed SPM (or its equivalent that is recognized by the Malaysian Government) with a minimum score of, as listed below and all taken in ONE attempt,

Science Stream:
“A-” in English, “A-” in Mathematics and “ B ” in Physics, AND with a minimum total of any 05 subjects , where the minimum achieved scoring must not be less than “ B ” inclusive of English, Mathematics and Physics .

Arts Stream:
“A-” in English, “A-” in Mathematics and “A-” in General Science AND, with a minimum total of any 05 subjects , where the minimum achieved scoring must not be less than “B ” inclusive of English , Mathematics and General Science .

OR possess a Diploma/Degree in Engineering or Science-related disciplines with CGPA 3.0 and above and at SPM level scored at least a “ B ” in the all the subjects mentioned above and taken in one sitting.

• Good command of English and Bahasa Malaysia both written and spoken.

• Must be physically and mentally fit with good eyesight (visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aid, correctable to 6/6 and not color blind). Should be able to successfully pass a medical examination up to a Class 1 standard conducted by a Department of Civil Aviation Authorized Medical Examiner (DAME)

• Be prepared to sign a training bond with a surety.

If you are a Malaysian, you would not be qualified for the Cadet Pilot Program as the cut off age is 28 years old. SIA (Singapore Airlines) has a less stringent age limit. Please view the many questions answered under this topic in my site.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Hai Capt Lim. Currently, I'm pursuing medicine. But my passion is all about flying. Now I'm 3rd year of medicine course. A good news is that, I got an invitation from Air Asia for the stage 1 assessment on 5th of April... Would you mind to share with me about the best preparation for that assessment since I'd left Physics for 5 years ago... hehe
Akmal Adib , 11 Feb, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com